Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- As you should always remember when reading over pro wrestling rumors, plans can and do change, often without warning or explanation. And so, it seems now that the long rumored plans for Daniel Bryan to challenge John Cena for the WWE Title at SummerSlam have been scrapped. It is now being said that the SummerSlam main event slot will be a triple threat match between Cena, Mark Henry and...Ryback. This meshes with rumors that came out after Payback that said the WWE decision makers still see Ryback as a main event talent and would give him some time this summer to rebuild his image in mid-card feuds, which is exactly what his Money in the Bank match against Chris Jericho will likely help accomplish. It's not all bad news for Bryan however, as he is still believed to be the favorite in the "red" Money in the Bank ladder match.
- In an interesting twist, the rumors of a SummerSlam triple threat main event have sparked some new rumors indicating that Mark Henry could indeed defeat Cena at Money in the Bank for the WWE Title. There has been some talk of giving Henry a "gold watch" WWE title reign, the only active title he hasn't held in WWE. Henry would defeat Cena at Money in the Bank, where Cena would then have a rematch at SummerSlam. How Ryback would fit into that match and feud may be a bit harder to explain.
- For the first time in a long time, CM Punk is being advertised to appear on tonight's SmackDown tapings, set to air on Friday (July 5). Exactly what he'll be doing on the show is not known at this time. (It's possible it could be for a non-televised main event or something along those lines as WWE has been concerned with attendance at SmackDown branded shows for some time.)
- Speaking of SmackDown advertising, Rob Van Dam is being promoted for several tapings following his scheduled return at Money in the Bank. One of the reasons given for bringing RVD back to WWE was to help replace the loss of Jericho (who will be returning to tour with Fozzy in August) on the SmackDown circuit.
- In even more SmackDown news (seems to be a theme today,) general manager Booker T is expected to return soon after missing time following elbow surgery. The plan is for him to begin a feud with assistant GM Teddy Long over Long's handling of SmackDown in Booker's absence.
- TNA's "Suicide" character will now be wrestling as "Manic." No reason has been given for the change so far, storyline or otherwise.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.