Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Over the past couple of weeks, rumors have been leaking out for WWE's plans headed into the summer and fall. They can all be difficult to keep track of, so here is a quick recap for each major (rumored) plan:
- Daniel Bryan is in the midst of being pushed to the WWE Title main event scene, with plans for a match with John Cena at Money in the Bank in July.
- Curtis Axel is expected to hit the World Heavyweight Title picture later this year, with Alberto Del Rio as the likely face competitor. It was rumored several months ago that Del Rio is expected to remain near the top of that picture throughout 2013.
- Fandango is expected to become the Intercontinental Champion in the near future, quite possibly as soon as next Sunday's (June 16) Payback pay-per-view, where he will take on the Miz and Wade Barrett.
- The Usos are being built up as a threatening face tag team in order to feud with Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns of the Shield for the tag team titles.
- Sheamus and Randy Orton are expected to have a feud, ultimately culminating in a match at SummerSlam in August.
- In an update on the Raw rewriting situation from this past Monday (June 3,) it actually turns out that it was the second rewrite of the show that finally made it to TV. One script was completed last week, but was scrapped when it was learned that the Miami Heat/Indiana Pacers series would be going to a game 7 at the same time as Raw was going on the air. That rewrite was then thrown out by order of Vince McMahon on Monday, leading to the show being hastily rewritten as the show was in progress.
- If you thought that only Raw received the "last-minute rewrite" treatment, think again. Due to the multiple rewrites for Raw, the entire SmackDown script reportedly had to be hastily rewritten during the day on Tuesday.
- As expected, the entire Wyatt Family (Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, and Luke Harper) will be called up to the main roster in the near future. They might be adding a few members as well from the NXT ranks when they make the jump: Superstar Garrett Dylan and Diva Bayley. It sounds like we'll be getting a full blown stable out of this.
- While we await the rumored wave of NXT cuts expected to happen in the near future, TNA is also expected to release a number of low-to-mid card talents. The process is already underway, as English wrestler Douglas Williams has confirmed his release from the company. The 40-year old Williams is a former X-Division, Television, and Tag Team champion who has mostly been working in OVW of late. Former Gut Check winner Alex Silva may also have been released, but there is no confirmation as of this writing.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.