Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- In news that will surely have most Cagesiders cheering, it is strongly believed that Daniel Bryan is being set up for a run at the top of the company. Monday night's (June 3) Raw was a very Bryan-heavy episode that saw him featured in two matches, including one where he injected himself into the Cena/Ryback feud for the WWE title, as well as multiple backstage segments. With the rumored lack of a long term plan in place for Cena (and, hence, the WWE Title,) it is entirely possible that Bryan will enter that scene later this year, possibly as soon as later this summer.
- Though cleared to return to action, Dolph Ziggler was not at last night's Smackdown taping in person. Instead, his in-ring return is planned for next Monday's (June 10) Raw.
- With Raw getting absolutely crushed in the ratings, posting its lowest number of 2013, the rumored fears of the creative team came true. Despite stiff competition from the NBA playoffs, the blame for the low ratings will fall at the feet of the creative team, likely continuing the high turnover that department has seen in recent months. Not making their job any easier is the rumor that Vince McMahon showed up just hours before the show yesterday demanding a complete re-write, including changes to the timeline of the Triple H injury storyline. (He was originally going to wrestle Axel last night.) Furthermore, last night won't be the last time the NBA schedule conflicts with WWE programming. Should the series go to a game 5, the game will take place at the same time as next Sunday's (June 16) Payback pay per view.
- Members of the NXT roster are bracing for the next wave of cuts which is expected to happen any time between now and the opening of WWE's new Florida training center in early July. There are expected to be some surprises when the cuts happen as well, and one name being a mentioned as a possible shocker is Richie Steamboat.
- Ring of Honor star Prince Nana may be the next addition to the WWE developmental roster, as he had a tryout at Monday night's (June 3) Raw taping. Nana is notable for having been with Ring of Honor since the promotion began in 2002.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.