I am not alone in being blown away by this week's episode of Monday Night RAW. But that doesn't take away from how impressed I was with what we witnessed.
The show had everything. Though it come on the heels of a fairly strong Pay Per View card, it didn't appear to be any kind of landmark show, like a RAW 1000 or anything. If you read last week's Wrestler Wrankings, you know that the best things in life are often the most unexpected. As usual, my words turned out to be prophetic.
What appeared to be a run of the mill episode quickly turned into an epic night of memorable moments. In many ways it was the beginning of a new chapter for WWE. Triple H embracing his role as executive and moving on from the denim and leather persona, Team Hell No apparently breaking up and Daniel Bryan subsequently restarting his singles career, the return of CM Punk, Alberto Del Rio losing his moral compass, Brock being Brock, and Mark Henry's "retirement" are just some of the great moments from what was, quite simply, one of the best top to bottom wrestling television programs I've seen in years. Even the Divas got their due with the compelling AJ vs. Stephanie McMahon segment!
Of course, this new chapter I mentioned may not last for long, so let's savor the good and keep our expectations reasonable. I can't wait to see what happens next!
To close, I just want to thank WWE for providing all the ingredients for a great night of sports television. For all the complaining that fans do when the product is not up to our (admittedly high) expectations, it's very important to give credit when it blows us away.
OFFICIAL WRESTLER WRANKINGS FORMULA
ANY WIN = 2 POINTS
US OR INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE BOUT = 1 POINT
WWE OR WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BOUT = 3 POINTS
NON "BIG 4" PPV BONUS = 1.5X
SUMMERSLAM, SURVIVOR SERIES, ROYAL RUMBLE = 2X BONUS
WRESTLEMANIA = 3X BONUS
The WWE season begins on the day after WrestleMania 29 and culminates with WrestleMania 30. The wrestler who accumulates the most points over the course of the season, wins the coveted Wrankings Championship!
Payback -- 6/16/13 (1.5x bonus already included)
- John Cena - 7.5 points (WWE Title bout, win)
- Ryback - 4.5 points (WWE Title bout, no win)
- Alberto Del Rio - 7.5 points (WHC bout, win)
- Dolph Ziggler - 4.5 points (WHC bout, no win)
- Curtis Axel - 4.5 points (IC bout, win)
- Wade Barrett - 1.5 points (IC bout, no win)
- Miz - 1.5 points (IC bout, no win)
- Sheamus - 3 points (win)
- CM Punk - 3 points (win)
Monday Night RAW-- 6/17/13
- Kane - 3 points (US Title bout, win)
- Dean Ambrose - 1 point (US Title bout, no win)
- Curtis Axel- 2 points (win)
- Randy Orton - 2 points (win)
- Chris Jericho - 2 points (win)
- Antonio Cesaro - 2 points (win)
- CM Punk - 2 points (win)
- Christian - 2 points (win)
- Damien Sandow - 1 point (2v1 handicap match, win)
- Cody Rhodes - 1 point (2v1 handicap match, win)
Main Event -- 6/19/13
- Miz- 2 points (win)
- Damien Sandow - 2 points (win)
SmackDown -- 6/21/13
- Curtis Axel - 3 points (IC bout, win)
- Wade Barrett - 1 point (IC bout, no win)
- Sheamus - 2 points (win)
- Daniel Bryan - 2 points (win)
- Christian - 2 points (win)
WRESTLER WRANKINGS, WEEK 11 *TOP TEN*
T1. ALBERTO DEL RIO -- 27.5 points
T1. CURTIS AXEL -- 27.5 points
3. Sheamus -- 24
4. Randy Orton -- 21
5. Miz -- 18.5
6. Kofi Kingston -- 17.5
7. Ryback -- 17
8. Dean Ambrose -- 16
9. Dolph Ziggler -- 15.5
10. Chris Jericho -- 15
Thanks for reading Cagesiders. We'll see you back here next week!