Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Though many doubted whether CM Punk would actually appear or not, he did indeed return in front of his hometown Chicago, IL crowd at last night's (June 16) Payback pay-per-view. Now there is speculation that he may go back on hiatus for the foreseeable future, with his Payback appearance just a one-off match for his hometown. Punk suggested via Twitter that he'll be in attendance for the NHL Finals game tonight (June 17) rather than at Raw.
- There was a good deal of talk over the weekend about CM Punk getting a new theme song and the idea was seriously discussed within WWE. Obviously, he did not return with a new theme on last night's Payback PPV.
- No, you're not crazy, that really was a teaser video for the return of Rob Van Dam to WWE at July's Money in the Bank PPV. At this time, it is believed to be a one shot deal for that event since it takes place in Philadelphia, where Van Dam enjoyed a lot of success in ECW. Van Dam has previously stated that he wouldn't return to WWE on a full time basis due to the brutal travel schedule, but a part time deal that extends beyond is a possibility.
- Alberto Del Rio defeating Dolph Ziggler for the World Heavyweight Title at Payback was apparently the plan all the long. Prior to suffering a concussion that kept Ziggler out for significant time, he was set to retain at last month's Extreme Rules pay per view but then go on to lose at Payback. The World Heavyweight Title picture is back on track according to WWE's plans and Del Rio is expected to remain part of the picture for the remainder of the year.
- WWE continues to sign new stars to developmental contracts. This weekend, it was announced that they signed New York area independent wrestler Dan Eckos.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.