It was on this date, May 9, in pro wrestling history that a few cool things worth remembering occurred, Cagesiders. First of all on this date in 1989 in Tampa, FL Mike Graham & Dusty Rhodes beat Bobby Jaggers & Black Bart to win the PWF Tag Title.
Also, on April 10, 2010, at Titannica, The Young Bucks defeated The Briscoe Brothers to officially set the record for most successful title defenses with thirteen. But, "What on Earth does that have to do with this date in history?", you may ask yourselves. Well, we have the answer for you right here, you see, their record setting reign ended on May 9, 2010, when ¡Peligro Abejas! (aka El Generico & Paul London) defeated them to become the new champions.
Let's see, what else happened? Well, there were a couple wrestlers born on May 9 throughout history probably worth mentioning. They include:
1. US wrestler Mike Shaw
Shaw was better known as Bastion Booger, Friar Ferguson, Makhan Singh or Norman The Lunatic throughout promotions such as the WWF and the NWA. He was born on this date back in 1957. (He passed away due to heart failure at the age of 44 in 2010).
Bastion Booger image via www.profightdb.com
2. Shawn Osbourne/McGrath
Osbourne was born on this date back in 1976. Promotions he wrestled with included DSW, FCW, FIP, OVW, ROH, and WWE.
Osbourne image via www.profightdb.com
3. Japanese wrestler Magnitude Kishiwada
Magnitude was born in 1971 on this date. He has gone by several names over the years, including Big Boss MA-G-MA, MA-G-MA, Magnitude Kishiwada, Toryu, Toyonari Fujita, Turbo Muscle. Promotions where you can find his work include AJPW, Bikkuri Pro, NJPW, NOAH, and WAR.
Magnitude image via www.profightdb.com
Probably the most notable happening on this date though, was the pay-per-view event that went down back in 1999 at the TWA Dome in St. Louis, Missouri.
And that would be WCW Slamboree '99...
WCW Slamboree '99 Logo via upload.wikimedia.org
There was an impressive crowd in attendance at that year's Slamboree event (20,516 present to be exact). They came in droves from throughout the midwest to watch the following match card go down:
- In the dark match: Dale Torborg defeated Johnny Swinger
- Raven and Perry Saturn defeated Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Billy Kidman (c), and Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit (with Arn Anderson) in a Triangle match to win the WCW World Tag Team Championship -- Raven pinned Kidman after a top-rope Evenflow DDT following interference from Chris Kanyon.)
- Konnan defeated Stevie Ray (with Vincent and Horace Hogan) -- Konnan pinned Ray with a roll-up following interference from Rey Mysterio, Jr..
- Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Brian Knobs in a Hardcore match -- Bigelow pinned Knobs after a Suplex through a souvenir stand to win the title "King of Hardcore".
- Rick Steiner defeated Booker T to win the WCW World Television Championship -- Steiner pinned Booker after a Steiner Bulldog.
- Gorgeous George (with Madusa, Miss Madness and Randy Savage) defeated Charles Robinson (with The Head Nurse and Ric Flair) -- George pinned Robinson after a Flying Elbowdrop. As a result of George winning, Savage was reinstated in WCW.
- Scott Steiner defeated Buff Bagwell to retain the WCW United States Championship -- Steiner forced Bagwell to submit with the Steiner Recliner. After the match, Rick Steiner came out and helped Scott attack Bagwell.
- Roddy Piper defeated Ric Flair (with Arn Anderson and The Head Nurse) by disqualification to gain control of WCW. -- Flair originally won by pinfall, but Eric Bischoff came out and disqualified Flair for hitting Piper with an "international object". Following the match Piper immediately fired Flair.
- Sting fought Goldberg to a no contest. -- The match was declared a no contest after Bret Hart came out and attacked the referee, After the match, The Steiner Brothers came out and attacked both Sting and Goldberg.
- Kevin Nash defeated Diamond Dallas Page to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship -- Nash pinned Page after a Jackknife Powerbomb. Randy Savage interfered in the match to assist Page, assaulting Nash and hitting him with the title belt. Eric Bischoff came to the ring after Savage interfered, ordered Doug Dillinger to escort Savage out of the building, and then told referee Nick Patrick to restart the match as a no-disqualification match.
Now that is one hell of a Slamboree! Too bad there aren't many videos out there to make you a complete playlist. But what was legally handy is below for your viewing pleasure.
Do any of you Cagesiders recall that one? Were you even there in attendance that day, perhaps? Talk to us all about it in the comments.
But for now, feel free to check out some footage of this historical event right here...
And now, from the desk of our CSS Senior Editor; for your viewing pleasure we bring to you, additional posts dusted off from the --
9 - MAY
9 May 2012
- Stone Cold Steve Austin to host CMT reality show Redneck Island by Keith Harris May 9, 2012 7:10 PM CDT - 3 comments
- GI Joe 2: 'Retaliation' poster featuring The Rock by Geno Mrosko May 9, 2012 5:31 PM CDT - 20 comments
- WWE Smackdown spoilers for May 11, 2012, featuring Sheamus vs Chris Jericho by Sergio Hernandez May 9, 2012 12:37 PM CDT - 10 comments
- On This Date in WCW History: Roddy Piper defeats Ric Flair for control of the company by Sergio Hernandez May 9, 2012 9:00 AM CDT - 9 comments
- On the deeper WWE vs UFC narrative to John Cena defeating Brock Lesnar by Geno Mrosko May 9, 2012 7:00 AM CDT - 18 comments
9 May 2011
- Shane Helms Investigated For DUI After Motorcycle Crash by Keith Harris May 9, 2011 9:14 PM CDT - 9 comments
- WWE Raw Results LiveBlog 5/9/11 by UnkleWheez May 9, 2011 7:41 PM CDT - 92 comments
- Can Bellator Survive as the "Little Brother" Promotion by Kevin Haggerty May 9, 2011 7:05 PM CDT - 5 comments
- UFC Announces New "Unprecedented" Accident Insurance Coverage for Its Athletes by Kevin Haggerty May 9, 2011 2:05 PM CDT
9 May 2010
- Paul Daley's post fight sucker punch of Josh Koscheck is promotional karma for UFC's Dana White by Keith Harris May 9, 2010 3:42 PM CDT - 2 comments