Yesterday we did something a little bit different in your This Date in Pro Wrestling History post since it was a holiday, but mostly just because a lot of noteworthy things happened on that date in the world of wrestling. Today there were enough interesting tidbits out there to do the same thing for you.
With that in mind, here are the top six stories worth remembering from May 6th over the past nearly fifty years --
May 6, 1964
The man we know now as Brian Knobbs is born as Brian Yandrisovitz in Allentown, Pennsylvania
Brian would grow up to become the man we now know as our former AWA, NWA, WWF, WCW & TNA star, who was arguably best known for his days as one-half of the Nasty Boys tag team alongside Jerry Sags (Jerry Saganovich).
Titles held by the Nasty Brian Knobbs included:
- AWA Southern Tag Team Champion
- NWA Florida Tag Team Champion
- WCW Hardcore Champion
- WCW World Tag Team Champion
- WWF Tag Team Champion
- XWF World Tag Team Champion
May 6, 1975:
The man we would all come to know as Apollo is born as Germán Figueroa in Ponce, Puerto Rico.
He would grow up to become a TNA, NWA, WWC & IWA (Puerto Rico) wrestling star.
Titles held by Apollo have included:
- IWA World Heavyweight Champion
- IWA World Tag Team Champion
- NWA On Fire Heavyweight Champion
- NWA North American Heavyweight Champion
- NWA World Tag Team Champion
- WWC Universal Heavyweight Champion
May 6, 1980:
A man we all know and love today, Colt Cabana is born as Scott Colton in Deerfield, Illinois.
He would of course grow up to become an Independent superstar with promotions such as NWA, ROH, OVW and PWG. Colt made a name for himself primarily in Ring of Honor from 2002 through 2007 before going up to the big leagues for a brief stint with the E. He also appeared as an old-school, masked wrestler Matt Classic, in MTV's Wrestling Society X in 2006.
As Colt Cabana he teamed up to form the trio of the Second City Saints alliance with Ace Steel and none other than The Best in the World, CM Punk. In a tag team he formed with Punk near the end of his time in ROH, he won the World Tag Team Championship, twice. He also had rivalries with Homicide and then-World Champion Bryan Danielson before leaving ROH in 2007. In 2009, when his contract expired with WWE, he returned to the indie circuit, where he remains successful to this day.
Titles held by Colt Cabana have included:
- RPW British Heavyweight Champion
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion
- NWA Wisconsin, Illinois & Mid-American Heavyweight Champion
- ROH World Tag Team Champion
- APW (California) Worldwide Internet Champion
- IWA Mid-South Heavyweight Champion
- IWC (Pennsylvania) Heavyweight Champion
- IWC (Pennsylvania) Super Indy Champion
- OVW Television Champion
- OVW Southern Tag Team Champion
- 1PW (England) Tag Team Champion
- UWA Canadian Champion
May 6, 1983:
The man we know now as Camacho is born as Tevita Fifita in Kissimmee, Florida.
Fifita is a second Generation WWE Superstar Fifita, as he was born the son of former WWF & WCW star Haku/Meng(Tonga 'Uli'uli Fifita). His dad has been described as one of the "most legitimate toughest wrestlers ever".
May 6, 1984:
The NWA WCCW David Von Erich Memorial Parade of Champions '84 took place.
It was during this event that the Rock 'n' Roll Buck Zumhofe & Iceman King Parsons defeated The Super Destroyers to win the NWA American Tag Team Championship and we also had The Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich defeating the Nature Boy Ric Flair to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship:
Also on the card:
- Gentleman Chris Adams & Sunshine defeated Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin & Precious
- The Junkyard Dog defeated The Missing Link by DQ
- Kamala the Ugandan Giant & The Great Kabuki fought to a draw
- Hacksaw Butch Reed defeated Chick Donovan
- Fritz, Kevin & Mike Von Erich defeated The Fabulous Freebirds to win the NWA World (Texas) Six Man Tag Team Championship
May 6, 2000:
The WWF Insurrextion '00 event took place.
It was on this date in WWF history that The Hardy Boyz defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Edge & Christian by DQ. Also, this event featured Eddie Guerrero defeating Chris Jericho to retain the WWF European Championship (Prior to the match, a coin toss was held to determine whether Guerrero's European Championship or Jericho's Intercontinental Championship would be on the line.)
For the co-main event of the evening we got to see the The Rock defeat HHH & Shane McMahon in a Triple Threat to retain the WWF Championship
Also on the card:
- Too Cool defeated Dean Malenko & Perry Saturn
- Kane defeated Bull Buchanan
- The Road Dogg defeated Bradshaw
- The Kat defeated Terri Runnels in an Arm Wrestling match
- The Big Show & Rikishi defeated The Dudley Boyz
- Kurt Angle defeated Chris Benoit
- The British Bulldog defeated Crash Holly to win the WWF Hardcore Championship
Worth noting: This event was also Davey Boy Smith's final PPV appearance with the WWF. He would wrestle his final match for the company and his career on May 27, defeating Steve Blackman at an untelevised house show.
What say you Cagesiders? Do any of you remember any of these events from our history, or recall your Dads or Grandads talking about any of these moments over the years? Did we leave anything out? Let us know in the comments below.
~ Today's source for all of these fantastic factoids was Brian Nixon - via TDiPWH/fb
And now, from the desk of our CSS Senior Editor; for your viewing pleasure we bring to you, additional posts dusted off from the --
6 - MAY
6 May 2012
- On This Date in NWA History: Kerry Von Erich defeats Ric Flair for the heavyweight title at Texas Stadium by Sergio Hernandez May 6, 2012 9:00 AM CDT - 13 comments
- Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto: Triple H walks out with the undefeated champ by Sergio Hernandez May 6, 2012 7:00 AM CDT - 14 comments
6 May 2011
- If UFC 129 Was in NV or NJ, GSP Would Have Lost to Jake Shields by bix May 6, 2011 1:10 PM CDT - 2 comments
6 May 2010
- [Spoilers] Something mysterious is happening with Drew McIntyre by bix May 6, 2010 8:32 PM CDT - 1 comment
- Vince McMahon gets his ass kicked on PPV in North America on WrestleMania weekend by Dana White and UFC 111 by Keith Harris May 6, 2010 2:46 PM CDT - 2 comments