Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we will be taking a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- We haven't had a TNA rumor recently, so let's lead with a big one. Rumors are swirling that Hulk Hogan is actually considering making an in-ring come back to win the TNA World Heavyweight title one more time. He previously made statements and tweets to that effect, but it was mainly dismissed as the ramblings of a 59 year-old man. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire though, and it is believed that Hogan may be eyeing Bound for Glory (expected to take place in San Diego in October) as the place. (I can already feel a great disturbance in the smark community...)
- Despite the rumored tension and awkward Vince McMahon birthday wishes, very few of the WWE decision makers truly believe that the Rock is done with pro wrestling. It is generally expected that he'll be back for WrestleMania 30, at the latest. The one sticking point in it all is the potential injury liability. It will be awfully hard for movie studios to get insurance for the Rock while filming movies, if he is still risking his body in the ring. While the Rock may feel that pro wrestling is in his blood, it still amounts to, essentially, a side project for him while he makes tens of millions of dollars as a big time movie star.
- Though not yet officially announced, it is strongly believed that the Shield will be taking on Team Hell No for the tag team titles at Extreme Rules. It is also believed that, if the previous rumors of a soon-to-be-added fourth member of the Shield come to fruition, it may also happen there. How these events, if they do both happen, will work together, is anyone's guess.
- For a quick recap of each official, expected, and rumored Extreme Rules match:
- Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H cage match (official)
- John Cena vs. Ryback for the WWE title (official)
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger vs. Dolph Ziggler in a ladder match for the World Heavyweight title (official)
- Kaitlyn vs. AJ Lee for the Divas title (expected)
- Sheamus vs. Mark Henry (expected)
- Randy Orton vs. Big Show (expected)
- The Shield vs. Team Hell No for the tag team titles (rumored)
- Big E Langston vs. Kofi Kingston for the US title (rumored)
- While it feels like a long shot due to his (so far) short tenure in NXT, Sami Zayn (the artist formerly known as El Generico) may be a candidate for the fourth member of the Shield. He tweeted this yesterday:
@wwerollins I believe in the Shield.— Sami Zayn (@iLikeSamiZayn) May 2, 2013
- On the subject of call-ups, it is strongly believed that Bray Wyatt will be the next NXT star to make it to the main roster. Triple H recently said he wants there to be a long-term plan in place before any more NXT talent is called up to the main roster, so hopefully this is good news for Wyatt.
- The most recent rumors for CM Punk's projected return put it as far away as SummerSlam this coming August, but we may not have to wait that long. Punk has been added to Raw taping advertisements beginning at the end of May.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.