Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- John Cena took Monday night's (May 20) Raw off to sell the injuries he sustained in his "Last Man Standing" match against Ryback at Sunday's Extreme Rules pay per view. However, he won't be missing any more time, as he is expected back next week. Curiously, if you recall about one month ago, it was announced that Cena would me missing this weekend's house show dates while WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels was being advertised for them. So it would seem that it has been part of the plan for quite some time that Cena would be missing this week's action. (Even though he isn't expected at this coming weekend's house shows, he still wrestled in the post-Raw dark match Monday night.)
- Brock Lesnar, on the other hand, is expected to be out for at least two months. He will likely return at some point after July's Money in the Bank in order to set up a feud for SummerSlam. There is no word yet on his possible opponent for that event, but past rumors suggested that CM Punk and Randy Orton are two guys WWE would like to set him against at some point during the next two years of his contract.
- Mark Henry re-injured the shoulder that kept him out for most of 2012 at Extreme Rules and is expected to miss time as a result. How much time he will miss, if any, will depend on the severity of the injury. Recent rumors have indicated that WWE would like to have Henry enter a feud with Big E Langston to set up a match at SummerSlam.
- If you watched carefully, you may have noticed that the Titantron read "Curt Axel" during his initial debut as Paul Heyman's newest client while the Titantron read "Curtis Axel" when he returned for his match with Triple H later in the night. Originally, he was going to go by "Curt" but a last second decision was made to go with "Curtis." The reasoning is anyone's guess.
- And if you listened carefully, you may have heard Titus O'Neil drop an audible "F-bomb" during his match with Sheamus. While it's unlikely that O'Neil would be fired or suspended, he will likely, at minimum, face some heat from management for violating WWE's PG restrictions.
- TNA's James Storm received good news last week in that his stomach injury was less severe than initially feared and would not require surgery. However, the injuries he did sustain (a torn adductor muscle and groin pull) will take 6-8 weeks to recover fully. Storm is scheduled to be part of a fatal fourway tag team match for the TNA tag team titles at the June, 2 Slammiversary event from Boston, MA. This latest diagnosis could put Storm's ability to participate in doubt, though a tag team match is a good way to protect him in the event he does wrestle without fully recovering.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.