Forty and one years ago today, in 1972, on the West Coast of the United States, a new Californian was born in the town of Hayward and was named Dwayne Douglas Johnson. Today, he is simply known nationwide and internationally as "The Rock".
Even many casual fans could tell you that Johnson was a college football player, that is how much of a household name he has become. He was a member of the 1991 University of Miami's national championship team as a matter of fact. Although he was cut only two months into the '95 season he also did a brief stint as a member of the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League.
Rather than give up on fame and fortune, Dwayne persevered. He tapped into his family's wrestling heritage, which included a father in the industry, Rocky Johnson, and a grandfather from the industry as well, Peter Maivia. Some say it was simply "in his blood" to turn wrestler once his football career didn't pan out. Originally, he even took on the monikers of his forefathers, being billed as "Rocky Maivia", then as "The Rock".
He made his World Wrestling Federation (WWF) debut back in 1996, and actually won his first WWF Championship just two short years into his run with the company. Clearly he found early success playing a face, but the real magic started for him once he turned heel in '97 as a member of the Nation of Domination.
Over the course of his career, the first third-generation wrestler in the company's history would go on to earn mainstream fame as an actor in films and tremendous success in the business, while also branching out into super stardom and elevating WWE along the way. Not to mention co-authoring a New York Times Best-Selling Autobiography in 2000 entitled, "The Rock Says...".
Some would say that The Rock has arguably become one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time. But the further he gets into semi-retirement and potentially permanent retirement from the squared circle, the fewer supporters he is likely to retain on that side of the debate.
Regardless whether you are a fan of his or not though, his accomplishments speak for themselves:
"He's had 17 championship reigns in WWE, including ten as a world heavyweight champion (the WWF/E Championship eight times and the WCW/World Championship twice), the WWF Intercontinental Championship (twice) and the WWF Tag Team Championship five times. He is the sixth WWF/E Triple Crown Champion, and the winner of the 2000 Royal Rumble."
So to celebrate the birthday of The People's Champion, here is a highlight reel of some of his funniest promo moments:
Happy Birthday, Rock!
Can you smell what The Rock is cooking? Today it is likely Birthday Cake.
And now, from the desk of our CSS Senior Editor; for your viewing pleasure we bring to you, additional posts dusted off from the --
2 - MAY
2 May 2012
- TNA Impact spoilers for May 10, 2012: What stipulation will Sacrifice's World Heavyweight title match have? by Sergio Hernandez May 2, 2012 10:00 PM CDT - 5 comments
- Video: Shane Douglas apologises for the dark spots on first Extreme Reunion event by Keith Harris May 2, 2012 8:08 PM CDT - 3 comments
- Brock Lesnar Could Shoot On And Beat Any WWE Superstar, But He Won't by KJ Gould May 2, 2012 5:55 PM CDT - 67 comments
- On This Date in WWE History: Happy birthday, The Rock! by Sergio Hernandez May 2, 2012 9:01 AM CDT - 11 comments
- WWE Smackdown spoilers for May 4, 2012, featuring Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan by Sergio Hernandez May 2, 2012 7:01 AM CDT - 10 comments
2 May 2011
- WWE Raw Results LiveBlog 5/2/11 The Rock's Birthday by UnkleWheez May 2, 2011 6:38 PM CDT - 42 comments
- Dana White in Pursuit of Nick Diaz, Can the Stockton Bad Boy Give Voice to Fans Frustrated with Georges St. Pierre? by Kaleb Kelchner May 2, 2011 6:15 PM CDT - 12 comments
- How much does the success of UFC in Canada owe to pro wrestling? by bix May 2, 2011 1:56 PM CDT - 9 comments
- WWE Extreme Rules 2011 results: Cena, Christian, Kofi win titles by bix May 2, 2011 1:11 PM CDT - 4 comments
- John Cena tells WWE fans about the death of Osama Bin Laden by bix May 2, 2011 12:45 PM CDT - 5 comments
- Women's Wrestler April Hunter talks about why she turned down TNA by S.Bruce May 2, 2011 10:59 AM CDT - 1 comment
2 May 2010
- Sorry, unfortunately former site management failed to post posted anything on the site on this date in 2010.