Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- With his non-title "upset" defeat of Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett on Wednesday night's (May 15) WWE Main Event, Sin Cara has secured himself a shot at that title in the future. It is believed that he will be entering that title scene and will receive a title shot in the near future. In addition, Miz still has a rematch clause for the title which was on delay while he was away filming Christmas Bounty.
- Sami Zayn, the NXT wrestler formerly known as El Generico, is apparently drawing rave reviews from those in charge of the development program and big things are expected for him in the future. In particular, they've praised his intelligence and, somewhat surprisingly (considering his former persona wasn't a big talker), his promo ability. However, those in charge would like Zayn to slow down in his matches and perform fewer high spots per match in order to preserve his body.
- In an update on the "Antonio Cesaro is boring" front, (which I wrote about in more detail yesterday, here), there is a vocal sect of the WWE decision makers who acknowledge that Cesaro is one of the better workers on the roster, has no problems with drugs or immaturity, and is respected by many of the other guys in the locker room for his abilities. The "boring" statement isn't necessarily a death sentence as one great match or one great promo can, and has, change/d the perspective of the decision makers in the past for other wrestlers. The best thing Cesaro can do is continue to show up to work, do what is asked of him, and take advantage of every opportunity he is given.
- TNA wrestler James Storm has luckily avoided serious injury when injuring a stomach muscle while performing as a guest referee on last week's (May 9) edition of Impact. Doctors initially feared that Storm had suffered a hernia, which would require surgery, but further tests revealed a partially torn ab muscle and adductor strain, both less serious injuries. He will likely be kept out of intensive in-ring action for a little while to heal.
- Speaking of TNA, Dixie Carter had high praise for Magnus in a recent interview, even going so far as to say that she thinks he could be the next major superstar to come out of TNA wrestling.
- There were some reports yesterday that Sami Callihan had signed a contract with WWE, but these reports were apparently inaccurate. Big Japan Wrestling had stated his signing as the reason he was being pulled for an upcoming tour, but Callihan was actually pulled off the tour due to an illness in the family.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.