Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- In what should simply be a recurring item here at the Rumor Roundup, it's time for a CM Punk update. Last we heard, there was no timetable for his return and the company had no contact with him since he walked out on Raw several weeks back. Now, it is being rumored that if WWE has it's way (as it often does), CM Punk will be in the ring for June's Payback pay-per-view (PPV) from Punk's hometown of Chicago, IL. With the Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H match originally planned for that event having been moved up to this month's Extreme Rules, WWE wants Punk on hand to help sell tickets and PPV buys.
- As expected, Dolph Ziggler has been removed from all scheduled appearances for the near future, until he passes post-concussion medical testing. At this time, it is not believed he will be stripped of his World Heavyweight Title, even if he is unable to wrestle in the triple threat ladder match at Extreme Rules to defend it. Two schools of thought, if Ziggler is unable to go, include the possibility they are going to make the match strictly between Alberto Del Rio and Jack Swagger as a #1 contenders match, or possibly have Ziggler's "heavy," Big E Langston, take his spot. It is a very fluid situation and the outcome will depend entirely on Ziggler's health.
- Could Sheamus be turning heel? Apparently not. The idea was reportedly floating about amongst the top WWE decision makers as a means to refresh his character, but was shot down by Vince McMahon himself, who wants Sheamus to remain a face. However, there are still plans to tweak Sheamus' character without turning him.
- I'm sure we're all growing weary of the rumors of Christian's return followed by a distinct lack of Christian on WWE programming. However, he is now expected to return within the next two weeks, with the Raw fallout show after Extreme Rules as the most likely candidate.
- As has been discussed in the comments section the last few days, WWE is expected to sign current independent wrestlers Mike Bennett, Samuray del Sol, Sami Callihan, and Shaun Ricker. These moves are believed to be part of WWE's effort to add depth to their NXT developmental program in order to replace stars believed to be getting the call up to the main roster in the near future. (Specifically, Adrian Neville, Bray Wyatt, and Kassius Ohno.)
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.