Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we will be taking a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Now that WrestleMania season has drawn to a close, rumors are starting to come out about the severity of CM Punk's various injuries. First, it is believed he was rushed back too quickly from his December knee surgery. (The one which caused him to miss the Tables, Ladders, and Chairs pay per view.) Then, he suffered a neck injury (which was believed to be more severe than Punk was letting on) against the Miz at a house show in March. Additionally, the injury he suffered in his Raw match against Kane was an arm injury. (The referee threw up the dreaded "X" symbol, which is code to the trainers to check for a legitimate injury.) Finally, several sources are reporting that Punk has already undergone knee surgery for an injury suffered in his match against Undertaker at WrestleMania 29. (Conflicting reports also exist, stating that Punk was backstage but not used on Raw. It seems unlikely though, that a workhorse like Punk would show up and not, at least, cut a promo or something.) The severity of the injury is not yet known, but several backstage sources were said to be surprised that Punk was able to leave the ring area due to the injury. The timing was about as good as it gets as Punk was scheduled to have some time off following the event anyway. Stay tuned here at CSS for any new info on that.
- The other big news Monday night was the unexpected disappearance of The Rock. Rock was scheduled to have an interaction with Brock Lesnar, setting up a feud between the two for next year's WrestleMania 30. Rock reportedly suffered an abdominal tear, and then went AWOL on WWE, forcing them to rewrite much of the show. You can read the details on that here.
- Interestingly, this brings a previously unrelated rumor to the forefront. Undertaker was reportedly overheard by some fans at Saturday's (April 6) Axxess event stating that he himself doesn't believe he has many matches left in him, and when asked about his ideal opponent for WrestleMania 30, he picked Brock Lesnar. If there is some kind of falling out between WWE and the Rock, Undertaker vs. Lesnar becomes an intriguing alternative to headline the show.
- It is believed that a Shield vs. Team Hell No feud over the tag team titles may be in the works. (Sorry to say, it does not seem like Undertaker is in those plans, despite what last night's (April 8) Raw may have shown.)
- Dolph Ziggler cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase on Alberto Del Rio to become the World Heavyweight Champion. I just wanted to remind everyone of that.
- There was some concern that Shawn Michaels broke his nose after being hit by Brock Lesnar during Lesnar's WrestleMania match with Triple H. Michaels tweeted that he is fine and uninjured.
- A number of people backstage voiced their concerns about Antonio Cesaro not being used at WrestleMania 29, especially considering he is the US champion. He was also not used on last night's (April 8) Raw, either. Rumors prior to WrestleMania said that he was planned to be part of an angle with Sin Cara, who suffered a concussion and was not cleared to wrestle until just before the event. It is not known if it is simply a lack of creative direction keeping Cesaro off screen or if there is another issue, such as an injury.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.