Remember the "Legend Killer?" That's just one of the gimmicks Randy Orton has used throughout his career and on this date in WWE history, he took things to the next level in a memorable match against Cactus Jack at the Backlash pay-per-view (PPV) which aired on April 18, 2004.
WWE was pushing Orton hard as a member of Evolution who held the Intercontinental title for seven months before dropping it, only to win the World Heavyweight title a short time later, becoming the youngest Superstar to ever accomplish such a feat. This, of course, soon resulted in Triple H burying him and taking the strap for himself until he dropped it to Batista at WrestleMania 21 in 2005.
Basically, Evolution ran the whole damn show.
Nevertheless, Orton's star-making turn can perhaps be attributed to his match against Foley. It was a hardcore match in which Evolution was banned from ringside. This way they could really get Orton over on his own merits, with Foley still able to deliver the goods at this time.
And that's exactly what he did, putting Orton over in a match that featured a ton of international (foreign) objects and a few awesome bumps, most notably Orton's failed RKO attempt leading to his taking a straight back drop on thumbtacks. The visual of hundreds of them sticking out of his back is impressive.
See the promos and the match, right here in this handy video playlist:
And now, from the desk of our Assistant to the GM & CSS Senior Editor; for your viewing pleasure we bring to you, additional posts dusted off from the --
18 - APRIL
18 April 2012
- WrestleMania 28 not guaranteed to break WWE pay-per-view record by Keith Harris Apr 18, 2012 9:16 PM CDT - 21 comments
- In defense of: TNA's booking of Bobby Roode and the World Heavyweight Championship since Bound for Glory 2011 by Sergio Hernandez Apr 18, 2012 6:00 PM CDT - 14 comments
- Video: WWE NXT for April 18, 2012, featuring Curt Hawkins vs Tyler Reks by Sergio Hernandez Apr 18, 2012 4:51 PM CDT
- TNA Impact spoilers for April 19, 2012: The fallout from Lockdown is felt and a new contender is crowned by Sergio Hernandez Apr 18, 2012 10:00 AM CDT - 6 comments
18 April 2011
- The latest TNA insanity starring Matt & Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan by Keith Harris Apr 18, 2011 9:32 PM CDT - 8 comments
- Monday Night Raw Live Blog 4/18/11 by UnkleWheez Apr 18, 2011 6:44 PM CDT - 37 comments
18 April 2010
- Strikeforce on CBS fallout roundup: Low rating for the show, Scott Coker and others comment on the brawl, and more by bix Apr 18, 2010 3:53 PM CDT - 3 comments