On March 7, 1999, the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) gave pro wrestling fans their first look at amateur wrestler extraordinaire and Olympic Gold Medalist, Kurt Angle, who just last year signed a multi-year contract to compete in the land of make believe.
So how do you get an American hero over?
Quite simply really, you pair him with an aggressive foreigner. Since the Bolsheviks were long gone and Muhammad Hassan was still in high school, Tiger Ali Singh had the thankless role of playing an International buffoon on Sunday Night HEAT. He came out and offered $500 to anyone willing to blow their nose in the American flag.
Oh, hello Vince.
And as if to prove a point, he called out "special
plant guest" Kurt Angle to do the dirty. But alas, it was the flag of India that became the recipient of some Olympic snot. Singh tried to retaliate, but the much more agile Angle rag-dolled him with relative ease.
Watch the WWF set the stage for things to come, in the footage below:
Join me in silent mourning for the old Kurt Angle. Sigh ... what could have been?
Other posts from the
07 - MARCH
07 MAR 2012:
- WWE Classics On Demand to continue indefinitely by Keith Harris Mar 7, 2012 8:19 PM CST - 4 comments
- Hulk Hogan sex tape reportedly being shopped around while his lawyer threatens lawsuits by The General Mar 7, 2012 6:26 PM CST - 25 comments
- Ted DiBiase suffers broken ankle at Smackdown tapings last night (March 6), likely out several weeks by The General Mar 7, 2012 6:05 PM CST - 12 comments
- WWE Smackdown spoilers for episode set to air Mar. 9: The GM Powers Explode! by Sergio Hernandez Mar 7, 2012 12:00 PM CST - 13 comments
- WWE Diva Kharma reveals her child did not survive birth by The General Mar 7, 2012 11:00 AM CST - 18 comments
- Brodus Clay continues rallying support for the Funkasaurus on Twitter, still isn't showing up on WWE TV by The General Mar 7, 2012 7:01 AM CST - 15 comments
07 MAR 2011:
- Monday Night Raw Liveblog 3/7/11 by UnkleWheez Mar 7, 2011 8:17 PM CST - 25 comments
- WWE shows up TNA again by signing Jersey Shore's Snooki for a TV appearance by Keith Harris Mar 7, 2011 8:08 PM CST - 4 comments
- Working conditions in TNA; a detailed analysis by S.Bruce Mar 7, 2011 11:32 AM CST - 11 comments
- UK News: Strikeforce Challengers To Air Free on Primetime Channel by KJ Gould Mar 7, 2011 7:41 AM CST - 1 comment
- Breaking News: Josh Barnett vs Brett Rogers Set For Dallas, Texas in June by KJ Gould Mar 7, 2011 4:58 AM CST - 2 comments
- Pat Miletich To Receive Special Award From National Wrestling Hall of Fame by KJ Gould Mar 7, 2011 3:00 AM CST
07 MAR 2010:
- The last time Hulk Hogan faced Ric Flair on a Monday night by Keith Harris Mar 7, 2010 6:46 PM CST - 4 comments