This date in history marked the unbelievable "Icon vs. Icon" match at the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) 'WrestleMania X8' pay-per-view (PPV) on March 17, 2002: The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan.
We're taking a break from our look at Uncensored, (the First Blood Barbed-Wire Match, the Hogan v Savage Steel Cage Match, the Triangle Elimination Match) the World Championship Wrestling (WCW) annual pay-per-view (PPV) that monopolized the middle part of March, because this date in history marked the unbelievable "Icon vs. Icon" match at the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) WrestleMania X8 PPV on March 17, 2002.
The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan.
This is particularly relevant because this year's big show will feature The Rock vs. John Cena, in a bout that mirrors the 2002 match in a lot of ways. At the time, Hulkster was the star of yesteryear, who returned to the WWE to squeeze a little more juice out of the McMahon orange, while "The Brahma Bull" was the hardworking headliner who punched the clock on a weekly basis.
It's also similar in that Rock isn't getting the kind of cheers he was expecting.
That kind of thing happens when you bring Hogan to Toronto, where he had the crowd on their feet by doing what Hulk does best: Acting like a selfish prick.
In fact, the crowd was so hot, it practically blew its load following the "Icon vs. Icon," bout, and subsequent interviews with Chris Jericho, who was the X8 main event opposite Triple H, reflected on how deflated he was realizing he had to go out and try to re-ignite a crowd that had just blown the roof off the SkyDome.
A six-minute Divas match was hardly an adequate buffer.
The Icon match was also significant because it turned Hogan back to a face when the nWo (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) came out to kick his ass for losing to the "Great One." Rocky naturally came out and made the save, and let Hulkster flex his way through a standing ovation.
Watch it all go down:
Anyone have any thoughts to share on this stuff?
And now, from the desk of the CSS Senior Editor, for your viewing pleasure we bring to you:
Additional posts dusted off from the
17 - MARCH
17 MAR 2012
- John Cena's mom has a message for The Rock: If you're so starved for sex ... by The General Mar 17, 2012 3:28 PM CDT - 39 comments
- WrestleMania 28: Diva's match added featuring Extra host Maria Menounos by The General Mar 17, 2012 12:30 PM CDT - 10 comments
- Prince Albert/A-Train reportedly re-signs with WWE, likely to return after WrestleMania 28 by The General Mar 17, 2012 11:23 AM CDT - 29 comments
- On this date in WWE history: Icon vs. Icon at WrestleMania X8 by Hulk Holland Mar 17, 2012 9:00 AM CDT - 14 comments
17 MAR 2011
- The story of the fake Stan Lane and other fake/imposter wrestling stars by bix Mar 17, 2011 7:33 PM CDT - 4 comments
- UFC 128: Prelims on Facebook Preview by Kaleb Kelchner Mar 17, 2011 11:10 AM CDT
17 MAR 2010
- The Connecticut media wakes up to WWE's hypocrisy on the concussion issue, but it's about more than just chair shots to the head by Keith Harris Mar 17, 2010 8:50 PM CDT - 1 comment
- NXT concept now officially a ratings failure by Keith Harris Mar 17, 2010 7:52 PM CDT - 2 comments