WWE 'Main Event' returned last night (Mar. 13, 2013); featuring World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio vs. The Big Show in a non-finish, The Usos taking on McIntyre/Slater of 3MB, and Wade Barrett going one-on-one with Justin Gabriel. We got the reactions right here!
WWE 'Main Event' returned last night (Mar.13) with our reigning World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio and The Big Show reigniting their feud in a most unsatisfactory manner in a non-title match, some tag team action with The Usos vs. 3MB, and Wade Barrett and Justin Gabriel closing out the show.
To put it bluntly, this was the worst Main Event WWE has put forth in the show's five month history.
If you missed the show, or just want to go back and read the live blog again, click here
To the reactions!
- There is no reason this episode should have been able to make it to air. WWE should have just found someone in the back, sent them out to the ring, and let them fill out the entire hour. I don't care who it would have been. Anything else would have been better than this.
- Alberto Del Rio opened the show to replay his parody propaganda. There's a line about good comedians having the ability to toss out a great line instead of clinging on and humping it until it dies. Unfortunately, Del Rio is not a good comedian. It's a cute bit. There's no reason why WWE should be playing it until no one laughs.
- Del Rio and The Big Show had a thoroughly uninspired match. It's not necessarily either man's fault, they were just given no time to work with. We opened with Show dominating, then Del Rio quickly got his shine. We saw the cross armbreaker over the top spot before Show finally shook the champion off and left him laying outside the ring. Regrettably, Jack Swagger used this opportunity to cut the champion's knees out and leave him unable to answer the ten count. Because a count out victory is entertaining television.
- The Usos went over 3MB in about five minutes. I can't even say it was a good five-minute match, because I've seen the The Usos put on better. Just really no reason for this to be here.
- We finally saw Wade Barrett take on Justin Gabriel for about five minutes as well, up until "The Cape Town Werewolf" fell to the Bullhammer. It's just pathetic that WWE has nothing for either of these men. Barrett is still the Intercontinental Champion. Even if the belt doesn't mean as much as it used to, it still should mean something. It's a bloody championship for Zeus' sake. And Gabriel has the raw athletic ability and in ring charisma to be a damn star. He may never headline WrestleMania, but he deserves far better than being a five-minute jobber.
- The rest of the show was filled with recaps, hype videos, and video promo for The Call. Filler garbage that took up as much time as the actual show.
All told, this was an absolute waste of time. Not a single redeeming thing happened on what should be WWE's best hour of weekly television. It's pathetic that the promotion is wasting primetime television with crap instead of building up any potential midcard feuds. Although, since it's inception there have only have been twenty-five episodes in Main Event's run, I feel secure in saying this was the worst.
What say you, Cagesiders? Am I being hyperbolic with my hate? Or am I square on the nose? Let me know how wrong -- or how right -- I am in the comments.