"I loved wrestling, it was good to me. I'm still young, I'm in the shape of my life. I've got some money tucked away. I never got into wrestling to be rich and famous... I was told my problem was I never 'kissed enough ass.'
On March 13, 2009, Andrew Martin, known best by his professional wrestling moniker of "Test," was found dead in his home in Tampa, Florida, following an accidental drug overdose.
He was just 33 years-old.
Test rose to fame in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), capturing the Intercontinental Championship, European Championship and Hardcore Championship, in addition to his role in the hilarious angle involving his (kayfabe) wedding to Stephanie McMahon.
Martin talks about leaving the business:
"They say nobody retires from wrestling.
"I can't tell you how much I hate to hear guys say, 'It's all I know', and keep working long after they should, and die, or be permanently disabled. You have to come to terms when you ask yourself what is your health worth? To me? You can't put a price on it! So what are you wrestling for? One man's greed so he might throw you a bone?
"I loved wrestling, it was good to me. I'm still young, I'm in the shape of my life. I've got some money tucked away. I never got into wrestling to be rich and famous...
"I was told my problem was I never 'kissed enough ass.'
"As we all know, wrestling is not real and it is very political backstage, and as a man, I could never bring myself to consort with the people that I didn't care for -- even if that meant making less money and not getting a world title. The world title is not real, but my dignity was, and I feel I never compromised it. I said 'no' to Vince a few times, which I was told is unheard of and the kiss of death.
"I personally don't have bad things to say about Vince. I can appreciate what he's done! I wonder what it's like to have everyone who works for you tell you, "yes", and your ideas are "great" because they are terrified about losing their job. I will never know, nor do I want to."
~ via Slam!Sports
My favorite match of his was against Shane McMahon in a "Street Fight" from 1999's SummerSlam, which you can view in its entirety, right here:
We do far too many of these types of history posts here, Cagesiders. I leave you with some haunting words that Test had to say in an Unusual Tribute to a Wrestler's Life...
Additional clip with words from Drew that were sadly poignant just seventeen months after he spoke them... brief clip from the footage shown here:
Other posts from the
13 - MARCH
13 MAR 2012
- Video: John Cena rap on The Rock from WWE Raw by The General Mar 13, 2012 10:00 PM CDT-13 comments
- WWE Raw ratings improve for The Rock's concert last night (March 13) in Cleveland by The General Mar 13, 2012 8:00 PM CDT-1 comment
- CM Punk plays up Chris Jericho feud on Twitter: 'Sh*t just got next level' by The General Mar 13, 2012 6:21 PM CDT-12 comments
- Report: Shaq at WrestleMania 28 is now a 'dead issue' by The General Mar 13, 2012 5:06 PM CDT-6 comments
- Video of Brodus Clay's return to Raw: Your weekly dose of the Funkasaurus from Planet Funk who is funky by The General Mar 13, 2012 1:00 PM CDT-6 comments
- Video: The Rock concert from WWE Raw last night (March 12) in Cleveland by The General Mar 13, 2012 10:30 AM CDT-16 comments
- WWE Raw results and reactions from last night (March 12): Rocks, Thugs, and Alcoholics by The General Mar 13, 2012 7:01 AM CDT-90 comments
13 MAR 2011
13 MAR 2010
- Bret Hart's big Mania payday leads to interview amnesia and shameless hypocrisy by Keith Harris Mar 13, 2010 8:55 AM CST - 12 comments