Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we will be taking a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rey Mysterio: Is He Done in WWE?
Rey Mysterio has had a storied career in professional wrestling. From his "big league" debut in ECW to becoming one of the WCW's most popular cruiserweights to his success as a three-time world champion in WWE, the pint-sized Mysterio has earned his nickname as "the ultimate underdog."
The last two years, however, have not been kind to Mysterio. Multiple injuries, coupled with his second violation of the WWE Wellness Policy, have seen the popular luchadore struggle to find any kind of traction in recent months. Most recently, it has been an undisclosed "family matter" which has kept Mysterio off of television.
Aside from a brief appearance in the titular Royal Rumble match, and an appearance on the Feb. 1 edition of SmackDown from his home city of San Diego, CA, Mysterio has been almost completely absent from WWE television.
Now, it is appears that Mysterio is being removed from all advertised appearances leading up to WrestleMania 29. Several months ago, it was rumored that Mysterio would do battle with then tag team partner Sin Cara at WrestleMania 29 in a "passing of the torch" moment for the two masked luchadores. However, due to Mysterio's absence and Sin Cara's inability to overcome his error-proneness in the ring, it appears that, for the second straight year, WrestleMania will not involve Rey Mysterio.
So what does the future hold for Rey? There are currently conflicting rumors about his status with WWE. On one side, it is said that Mysterio's absence is supported by WWE and that he will be welcomed back when he is ready to return. On the other hand, it is said that WWE has a lack of trust with Rey which, when flung on top of his two wellness strikes and plethora of injuries, may lead to his release.
Only time will tell how this situation will shake out. However, it does seem that we have seen the last of Rey Mysterio in a WWE ring until at least after WrestleMania 29, if not for good.
Other Rumors for the Day:
- A match between the Undertaker and CM Punk at WrestleMania 29 is believed to be "virtually confirmed" at this point. Undertaker is expected to make his return at next week's "Old School" edition of Raw. In anticipation of the event, WWE.com has released 100 "never before seen" images of The Deadman from various points in his career. You can check them out here.
- Speaking of this year's edition of "The Grandaddy of Them All," it is believed that there are currently no undercard matches set in stone. A few have been rumored, but it is possible that some of them will not be put together until the weeks immediately prior to the event itself.
- As you may have seen, Orlando might soon be hosting another WrestleMania within the next few years. Orlando is also the rumored location for a physical WWE Hall of Fame. Could the two be related?
- Bruno Sammartino still hasn't met with Vince McMahon, and may not until the night of the Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
- Jack Swagger's arrest aside, the Zeb Coulter angle has been living up to WWE's expectations thus far. WWE is rumored to be considering other manager types to help elevate other superstars who may lack the mic skills to get over on their own. One name being discussed? James Mitchell (aka James Vandenberg in WCW, aka "The Sinister Minister" in ECW.)
- TNA may be working with Activision to produce a new video game. There has not been a TNA game since 2008.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have some fun with them.