Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we will be taking a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
The Past, Present, and Future of The Rock:
Ever since his debut in 1996 as Rocky Maivia, "the first third-generation superstar", The Rock has been accomplishing great things in WWE. The sure-fire future WWE Hall of Famer is currently in his eighth reign as WWE Champion, and is widely expected to headline WrestleMania 29 in a rematch of the WrestleMania 28 main event against John Cena.
In that match, the Rock is expected to put over John Cena on the biggest stage of them all, giving Cena his 11th WWE championship in the process, before returning to his acting career. However, rumors are already rampant regarding the future of "the People's Champion" in WWE thereafter.
Most notably, WWE is rumored to be pulling out all the stops to make this year's SummerSlam (to be held Aug. 18 in Los Angeles, CA) a major event. With the event so close to Hollywood, WWE is hoping for a match involving The Rock for the cross-promotional tie-ins it would bring.
One possible opponent being discussed, is the recently re-signed Brock Lesnar. The two superstars have a history together, with Lesnar defeating The Rock for the WWE Undisputed Championship at SummerSlam 2002. A match between the two 11 years later would certainly be a huge draw for the event.
Another rumor that is definitely in the "out there" category, is a match between The Rock and The Undertaker, which would be used to set up a huge "streak vs. career" match at WrestleMania 30 between the two. Given the Undertaker's reportedly poor physical state, this one seems unlikely; but is fun to think about nonetheless.
Regardless, it is not currently expected that WrestleMania 29 will be the last we see of The Rock in a WWE wrestling ring in 2013.
Other Rumors for the Day:
- If the match on Monday Night Raw between Zack Ryder and Jack Swagger seemed a little stiff to you, that's because it was. Zach Ryder was reportedly coughing up blood after the match. He tweeted the following message yesterday (Feb. 12) morning:
Still coughing up blood. Thanks @realjackswagger. I owe ya a fist pump…to your face!— Zack Ryder (@ZackRyder) February 12, 2013
- It looks as though the Brodus Clay and Tensai team up is official. As we shared with you on our CSS facebook wall yesterday (Feb. 12), WWE has been asking fans to TOUT suggestions for a tag team name for the pair:
- To further solidify this issue of Clay and Tensai, apparently Clay has also been asking fans on Twitter to help come up with a team name. WWE has clinched it by announcing the Clay/Tensai duo will be taking on a "reunited for one night only" Team Rhodes Scholars at the Elimination Chamber pre-show this Sunday (Feb. 17.) You can offer your own team name suggestions at this link.
- It is expected that there will be at least one more inductee to the WWE Hall of Fame this year, most likely a celebrity. There has also been some talk that Madison Square Garden may get the nod instead of a celebrity. The famous New York City arena has been the site of countless major events in WWE history, including WrestleMania I, X and XX.
- In the realm of Impact Wrestling, Bully Ray may be currently dealing with a torn quadriceps injury. There is no word yet on the severity of the injury or when/where the injury may have occurred. He is still being promoted at TNA house shows this upcoming weekend (Feb. 16 and 17) for matches against Devon.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have some fun with them.