Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- In an interesting twist, there are reports indicating that Vince McMahon said in a recent WWE creative meeting that the idea of "babyfaces" and "heels" will be phased out, as there are no truly "good" or "bad" people in real life. Vince has supposedly been toying with this idea for quite some time but met resistance from other officials who were against changing a formula that had been working for about half a century. With other major shakeups in WWE's formula already happening (title unification) and coming up down the line (WWE Network potentially eliminating PPVs,) it seems that this may be the time for WWE to try out another new idea.
- It almost seems as though WWE has WrestleMania XXX planned out to a greater extent than the upcoming Royal Rumble pay per view. While plans can (and do) change when it comes to WWE, the plans for the Rumble still seem to be up in the air. We know that someone will battle Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight title at that event, but WWE officials still haven't decided on whether it will be John Cena, Daniel Bryan, or possibly both. Though one of the knocks against Bryan being a main event headliner was that his series of PPV-closing matches against Orton in the previous couple of months failed to draw large buy rates, the Rumble gimmick itself is enough to sell the PPV regardless of who is challenging for the title directly. What seems most likely is a triple threat match with Bryan and Cena then pulling double duty by competing in the Rumble match afterward.
- One thing we DO know about the Royal Rumble is that returning superstar Batista will be involved in some way, and may even with the match itself. And it seems that this is no short stay for the 45-year-old. It is being said that Batista will be used much more extensively than the Rock was in past years, and that currently plans are for Batista to stick around for two years, through WrestleMania 32 in 2016, with short breaks built in for movie promotion. Rumors are currently extremely hot at the moment that Batista will enter and win the Royal Rumble next month before defeating Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXX and carrying that title into the summer to start off that two-year run.
- On the other end of the spectrum, in terms of someone who might not be around as long as we think, is CM Punk. Following an event in Detroit, MI over the weekend, Punk thanked the fans of the city on Twitter and said "I don't have many of these left in me." Punk's current contract with WWE is said to expire next summer, and he has long suggested that he plans to retire young while he is still relatively healthy.
- In a bit of TNA news, Jessie Godderz reportedly suffered a knee injury at a house show on Saturday night. The severity of the injury isn't currently known.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.