Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Yesterday, we mentioned that WWE officials were livid that news of Batista's impending return to WWE action was leaked out ahead of a planned surprise Royal Rumble return. Now, with news coming out that not only was Batista supposed to return at the Rumble but potentially WIN the event, that rage seems even more justified. Indeed, it is an idea that WWE officials are toying with. The most likely outcome should this be the direction WWE decides to go, seems to be an eventual showdown at WrestleMania XXX against former Evolution stable-mate Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight Title. Also supporting this idea are past rumors which suggested that Orton would likely remain the WWE World Heavyweight Champion through WrestleMania XXX. By all accounts, Batista's return would be treated as the return of an extremely high level star, similar to their treatment of the Rock the previous three years. It is also thought that, should Batista win the title at WrestleMania XXX as expected in this situation, he may remain champion throughout the summer where WWE will hope to gain from cross promotion with Batista's Guardians of the Galaxy movie set for release next August.
- For what it's worth, the rumor that Batista could choose to challenge the Undertaker's streak at WrestelMania XXX seems like a more minor rumor and/or speculation based on my research. While it's obviously not out of the question, WWE has never seriously discussed the idea of having the Rumble winner forgo a title shot in favor of taking on the streak. Additionally, past rumors indicated that WWE officials still had their "heart set" on signing Sting when his contract with TNA is up for a match with the Undertaker while Undertaker's personal choice of opponent, Brock Lesnar, was the backup plan.
- We also mentioned yesterday that Chris Jericho's potential Royal Rumble return may also have been spoiled by the announcement that he will be doing a signing at World of Wheels in Pittsburgh, PA (where the Rumble will take place,) the day before the Rumble event. It has now been announced that Sheamus, who has been out of action since the summer with injuries to both shoulders, one of which required surgery, will also be at that signing. It has long been expected that the target date for Sheamus' return would be at the Rumble. Past rumors also suggested that WWE is considering a heel-turn for the big Irishman following his return.
- Despite the talk of Batista potentially winning the Royal Rumble match and other big names being discussed for a return, it is believed to still be in the plans for Roman Reigns to have a monstrous Rumble performance. Past rumors indicated that Reigns breaking Kane's record for eliminations in a single Rumble match and Reigns being the match's "Iron Man" were options on the table.
- Speaking of Kane, there has been some talk of having him return to ring action soon. Kane has been out of action since SummerSlam, first taking time off to film See No Evil 2 and then joining the Authority. Should he participate in the Royal Rumble match, Kane needs only two eliminations to pass Shawn Michaels for first place on the all time list of Royal Rumble eliminations.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.