Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- In their quest to have as many big names from the company's past at WrestleMania XXX, WWE is now said to want Shawn Michaels to come out of retirement for a match with his former pupil, Daniel Bryan. WWE officials, including Triple H, are said to have already approved the decision, and it is now up to Michaels as to whether he returns. Michaels, who lost a retirement match to the Undertaker at WrestleMania 26, has taken his retirement seriously. However, Michaels has kept himself in good shape and has said several times in recent years that he misses being a pro wrestler, so the idea of him returning to action for one more match against a former pupil is realistic.
- Speaking of past greats at WrestleMania XXX, Hulk Hogan is not currently signed to any kind of deal with WWE, but those backstage are talking and making plans as if his signing is a done deal. The plans they are making also do not involve Hogan in a wrestling role, as they believe there is no way Hogan could pass medical testing in order to be cleared to wrestle. WWE's plans for Hogan have fallen from a match against John Cena, to teaming with Cena, to now no longer wrestling at all. It is expected that he could end up in a "ringside enforcer" role or potentially a special guest referee for a match.
- Another name being discussed internally for a potential return is Batista. Batista has been busy as an actor since leaving the WWE in 2010, but has stated several times that he has an open invitation to return any time, and plans to do so once the time is right. His filming schedule likely takes a full time return out of the equation, but with WWE's ever increasing willingness to utilize part timers for WrestleMania season, look for them to make a strong push to bring in Batista.
- Several weeks ago, we mentioned that WWE had big plans for Roman Reigns during January's Royal Rumble match, including the potential for Reigns beating Kane's record for eliminations in a single match. It is now being said that the plans may be even bigger than that, up to and including Reigns winning the Rumble. More realistically, Reigns may capture the elimination record, be the match's "Iron Man," and likely be the last person eliminated by the eventual winner. However, if the rumors about Reigns being set up for a "monster push" in 2014 are true, a victory in the Royal Rumble would be a great way to get that started.
- Developmental Divas Leah Van Damme and Ashley Sebera have been given their official NXT names. Van Damme, a former LA Lakers cheerleader, will now go by "Carmella" while Sebera, a former fitness model, will be "Dana Brooke."
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.