Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- With Royal Rumble up next on the WWE pay per view calendar, WWE is said to be getting more creative in deciding who will take part in the titular match. In addition to their usual habit of bringing back returning superstars to be part of the match, (including Chris Jericho who may make a triumphant return at the Rumble for a second year in a row,) WWE is said to be exploring options "who are not currently on the roster." Most believe this to mean they are planning to use some NXT talents, but could also include names such as Sting, Hulk Hogan, and Goldberg.
- It's been rumored for quite some time now that WWE would like to transition Antonio Cesaro into a face role, and it now believed that it will happen within the next few weeks. It is also believed that he will be breaking away from his "Real Americans" tag team with Jack Swagger and Zeb Colter. One of the biggest reasons for the face-turn is said to be that WWE's decision makers feel that Cesaro's "giant swing" is a face move.
- For those of you who dislike Total Divas, you may wish to skip to the next item now. It is being said that WWE officials are pushing the idea of using clips from Total Divas on Raw and Smackdown to tie the shows together. The biggest hangup preventing this idea from becoming a reality is the fact that Total Divas is taped well in advance, making it difficult to merge it with the live storylines going on within the wrestling programs.
- WWE has released developmental talent Knuckles Madsen from his NXT contract. Madsen, real name Kevin Nikels, has been in WWE developmental since 2012.
- There are at least a few conspiracy theorists out there who don't buy the story that AJ Styles is really done with TNA. There is at least some chatter backstage that Styles has actually agreed to a new deal with TNA and that the independent bookings he has been setting up (which will keep him busy through at least March of next year,) are all part of the angle. As far as any actual evidence goes, however, Styles is not under contract with TNA.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.