Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- It's been mentioned repeatedly in this space that Roman Reigns is in for a monster push, one that really kicked off at Survivor Series when he tied the elimination record with four. Well, plans are apparently in place for him to potentially tie another elimination record, this one at the Royal Rumble. Even if he doesn't, expect him to run roughshod in the match, playing the role of the big monster who dumps a lot of people and is himself ridiculously difficult to eliminate.
- Just yesterday, John Cena came out and said WWE cannot hold WrestleMania 30 without Hulk Hogan being there in some form or another. Well, negotiations are still ongoing and there have even been talks of doing match. Actually, there have been discussions of doing a tag team match with Cena and Hogan wrestling alongside each other. It's still too early to tell on anthing like that and who knows what could happen in the next month or so.
- WWE is still trying to get Bill Goldberg to do WrestleMania but his asking price is huge and the allure of getting him back for any reason other than money isn't working. So it's looking like more and more of a long shot that he'll be there but if no one else comes through for the big event, the company might pony up the dough to help pop the buyrate.
- No word on Vince McMahon's official return to TV, though it's definitely going to happen at some point over the next month.
- For that matter, no word on Paul Heyman's next return. It's likely he'll be accompanying Brock Lesnar once he does come back.
- If you're wondering why Christian hasn't been heard from for months now, it's because he still hasn't been cleared from the concussion he suffered. It's not like there was ever much for him when he was there anyway. He is expected back soon, though.
- There are still a ton of advertisements over the next month featuring Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio for the world heavyweight title and Randy Orton vs. Mark Henry for the WWE championship. Card subject to change, of course, but that's what is out there at present time.
- Here's a good one: Brooke Hogan and Phil Costa broke up. The two were engaged to be married and, in fact, caused quite the uproar within TNA while she was working with the company when she announced the engagement on her Instagram account. On television at the time, she was married to Bully Ray and gave no notice that she would be announcing such a thing. Of course, the story was picked up everywhere and TNA was hardly mentioned. Meanwhile, creative had to be changed to account for it.
- Speaking of TNA there's a new mentality, one that so many hardcore fans have hoped for years would be taken. As you've seen with Ethan Carter 3 and, more recently, with Sam Shaw, the idea is to build characters slowly and stick with them, even if ratings aren't moving in the right direction immediately. That's because no one, not Hulk Hogan or Jeff Hardy or Kurt Angle or anyone else, has popped big ratings for the promotion. Spike TV is getting what it's getting and so TNA will go with the low rolling approach.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.