Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- We noted earlier this week that Big Show vs. Triple H was a possibility for the main event match at the Survivor Series pay per view (PPV) later this month. It is now believed that those two may main event December's TLC pay per view instead, with Big Show taking on Randy Orton for the WWE title at Survivor Series instead.
- We've mentioned several times this week that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are set to do battle with the Wyatt family in a traditional Survivor Series match at the titular PPV later this month. As it turns out, this is actually a fairly recent idea for WWE. Originally, they were going to feud with and then have the match against the Shield (with additional wrestlers added in to fill out the teams.) However, WWE thinks highly of Bray Wyatt and want to push him harder. The expectation is, that down the line, the Wyatt family will replace the Shield as "the Authority's" go-to enforcers with Triple H as "the devil" Bray keeps mentioning.
- Speaking of the Shield, the reason they may be replaced by the Wyatt family is that they may be set to break up up with Roman Reigns turning face. They've shown some signs of dissension recently, but a full break up is still believed to be quite a ways off. Reigns, along with Seth Rollins, is expected to be part of a four-team tag team match at Survivor Series for the tag team titles.
- There is reportedly some consternation amongst the ranks of the WWE roster when it comes to the Triple H/Stephanie McMahon "the Authority" angle. It's being said that quite a few of the wrestlers who are frequently forced to come out on stage to be "lectured" to their faces are unhappy with the way it is being handled. They feel that these segments are insulting and making them look weak in the eyes of the fans.
- Kane removed his mask on Monday night's Raw when he allied with Stephanie McMahon and "the Authority." The reason? So he will be more identifiable when promoting WWE Studio's See No Evil: 2 movie. Kane will be working without the mask for the foreseeable future.
- According to various reports, there is a "major celebrity" who is a "serious" buyer interested in acquiring TNA, though Dixie Carter is continuing to publicly dismiss rumors that the company is for sale. The buyer is described as someone who has the money to make it work and is someone that fans will recognize.
- Speaking of TNA, with their World Heavyweight Title officially vacated (while "champion" AJ Styles defends it in other countries,) they have set up an 8-man tournament to crown a new champion. As anyone genre savvy enough in pro wrestler will quickly figure out, the new champion is expected to feud with Styles over who is the "real" champion. An interesting side note, however, is that should TNA be unable to reach an agreement on a new contract with Styles, this storyline may not get a chance to play out, and the winner of the tournament may simply take over as champion. (The first round of the tournament pits Jeff Hardy against Chris Sabin, James Storm against Bobby Roode, Austin Aries against Kurt Angle, and Magnus against Samoa Joe.)
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.