Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Though there is still considerable skepticism in some corners of the fandom, it is looking more and more as though John Cena will return to take on Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship at Hell in a Cell later this month. Regardless of how he is used, Cena's extremely early return following triceps surgery should boost struggling ratings and add a few more buys to the Hell in a Cell buy rate.
- Rumors popped up last week that the Undertaker, depending on his health, agreed to wrestle at one non-WrestleMania pay per view prior to defending his streak at WrestleMania 30. Royal Rumble is the most likely event for Taker to wrestle at, and rumors came out that WWE was planning to use Brock Lesnar's final non-WrestleMania PPV date at Rumble as well, people started to connect the dots. Undertaker was overheard by many at last year's pre-WrestleMania 29 Axxess event saying that Lesnar would be his top choice of opponent at WrestleMania 30. Using a mutual Rumble appearance to set up a WrestleMania match between these two would add the element of an earlier set-up at a big PPV event for Taker's next defense of "the streak."
- The Pittsburgh crowd singing "Happy Birthday" to Bruno Sammartino the day after his 78th birthday on Raw was an enjoyable moment for many fans of the early days of pro wrestling, and it almost didn't happen. Sammartino wasn't scheduled to appear at all with Raw filming in his adopted hometown, but Triple H made a call to him during the day asking him to come to the show. It was not planned in advance and thus, no time was made for it during the broadcast. That is why the segment appeared in full on the WWE app and was only shown in a brief replay during the broadcast itself. It was not meant as a slight to Sammartino in any way.
- The "short-term" contract Goldust signed with WWE last week has seemingly been confirmed as he has pulled out of a number of indy shows he was scheduled to work through the end of this year. It has been strongly rumored that Goldust will stick around through WrestleMania 30, and that he and Cody Rhodes may be in line for a tag team title shot against the Shield at Hell in a Cell.
- In Hulk Hogan/TNA news, the two sides are said to be working on a new deal. Hogan is still promoting TNA events, so it seems likely that he will be returning to the company at some point. Reports on the progress of the negotiations so far indicate that Hogan has made some "crazy demands," and that it is believed Dixie Carter will eventually capitulate. There is also a feeling within TNA that Hogan will return to WWE to end his career, whether it is now or in a few years after his next TNA deal is up.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.