Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- The Battleground pay-per-view (PPV) is only two days behind us, yet we've got less than three weeks until WWE's next PPV, Hell in a Cell. A past rumor that bears repeating is that WWE was interested in using the titular "Cell" in more matches during that night, possibly even for all of them. This comes after they drew some criticism last year holding only the main event between Ryback and CM Punk in the Cell. We already know that Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton will do battle in the Cell for the WWE title with Shawn Michaels as the guest referee. Bray Wyatt versus a returning Kane is also heavily rumored to be a match under consideration for inside the Cell, as is what is expected to be the finale of the CM Punk versus the Paul Heyman Guys feud. Cody Rhodes and Goldust teaming up against Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns for the tag team titles is another match under consideration.
- Another match being rumored for inside the Cell at Hell in a Cell is Big Show vs. Triple H. There are rumors this match-up dating back to SummerSlam, and it appears the groundwork for the match was laid on last night's Raw where Big Show was fired but returned to KO Triple H following the main event. A Cell match pitting Triple H vs. Big Show with Show's job on the line is a definite possibility.
- The other big development that came out of last night's Raw was the announcement that John Cena would return extremely ahead of schedule following triceps surgery to battle Alberto Del Rio at Hell in a Cell for the World Heavyweight Title. The internet rumor mill was, of course, churning heavily following this announcement. While Cena is known for a Wolverine-like ability to heal from serious injuries, returning in less than half the time seems unlikely. Still, WWE is running with the angle and Cena himself tweeted confirmation.
- Rob Van Dam's 90-day contract with WWE was said to have expired on October 1, though he agreed to extend it by a week in order to wrestle at Battleground. RVD is expected to now take roughly 90 days off in order to rest and work on some outside projects, including an autobiography he has been planning to write. A Rob Van Dam surprise return at Royal Rumble is a strong possibility, with him potentially sticking around through WrestleMania season.
- Speaking of part timers who could be returning, this is just a reminder that Chris Jericho's current tour with his band, Fozzy, ends on October 18. While there aren't any concrete rumors about a potential return yet, expect them to start coming out soon.
- Seemingly confirming rumors from last week, WWE has been running an angle on their website regarding 3MB. Drew McIntyre is growing distant from the group, with Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal asking "where's Drew?" McIntyre is believed to be undergoing a repackaging.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.