Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- According to prominent sources (at least as far as internet wrestling rumors go,) the Undertaker has agreed to do one non-WrestleMania pay-per-view (PPV) either later this year or early in 2014, depending on his health. The current targets are Survivor Series, where it is possible he could join his kayfabe brother Kane in his feud against the Wyatt Family, or Royal Rumble. A Rumble appearance seems more likely, and it probably wouldn't be as a surprise entrant in the titular match itself since WWE will want to promote the Deadman's appearance in order to increase the buyrate. Either way, are you excited for more Undertaker?
- In news that either telegraphs the result of one of the big matches at this weekend's Battleground PPV (or sets up a HUGE swerve,) word has come out that Goldust has signed a short term contract with WWE in order to continue wrestling for the next several months. While it is not currently known how long the contract will run, rumors emerged earlier in the week that Goldust was expected to stick around through WrestleMania 30, where it is possible he will get his long desired match against his half brother, Cody Rhodes.
- One match idea that has been kicked around is having Daniel Bryan face Brock Lesnar in a definite "David vs. Goliath" type of match. It likely won't happen anytime soon, with Lesnar reportedly only having one non-WrestleMania PPV date remaining in his contract until after WrestleMania 30, and Bryan's future booked up through then in this "Best for Business" storyline with Triple H. Still, it's something to keep an eye out for come next summer if "the Beast vs. the Beard" interests you.
- In news sure to delight CSSers, WWE is indeed planning to repackage Wade Barrett in the "Bad News Barrett" gimmick he has portrayed on the JBL & Cole Show. Additionally, WWE is considering some repackaging options for Drew McIntyre that would split him away from 3MB.
- WWE has signed two more talents to developmental deals, Dylan Mile and Leah Van Dale. Mile, 25 is impressed WWE scouts with his agility and quickness in a tryout despite being 6'3, 285. Van Dale is a former cheerleader for the Lakers and Patriots. There has still been no update on WWE's interest in former Ring of Honor stars Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards, who reportedly impressed scouts in their tryouts.
- We had mentioned previously that Saturday Morning Slam is unlikely to return, and now the move appears to be official. WWE has removed all traces of anything mentioning SMS from its website.
- As it stands right now, Kurt Angle will only appear at TNA's Bound for Glory PPV for his hall of fame induction and will not be wrestling a match. Angle was arrested last month for DUI and entered rehab in order to get treatment for his addiction issues.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.