Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- With each passing day we get closer to TNA's Bound for Glory pay-per-view (PPV) this coming Sunday, yet Hulk Hogan remains unsigned. Hogan reportedly elected to return to TNA after receiving a "low ball" offer from WWE, but advancement on that front has been slow going. Hogan was apparently seeking similar money to what WWE has paid part-time superstars, the Rock and Brock Lesnar, in recent years. What struck many fans as odd is that those guys actually wrestled during their appearances, so why did Hogan, strictly a non-wrestler at this point, think he deserved that kind of money to return? Hogan does have a notoriously massive ego, but this story apparently goes even deeper. According to some rumors that are starting to come out, WWE actually did want Hogan to return to the ring for a "dream match" with John Cena at WrestleMania 30. That would certainly qualify as the "prominent role" WWE wanted Hogan for at that event. Several months ago, Hogan was reportedly training for a match with Bully Ray at Bound for Glory, but those plans were nixed when it became clear that Hogan simply wasn't healthy enough for another match. How WWE would have gotten around the issue of Hogan's health isn't known, but this makes for one of the more interesting "what if..." stories to come around in quite some time. Your thoughts on the nixed Hogan/Cena match, Cagesiders?
- Wade Barrett has been off of WWE TV for quite some time, and is rumored to be undergoing a repackaging in the near future. Another complicating factor that has kept him off of TV is that he has encountered problems with his work visa. Those issues are expected to be cleared up soon.
- According to the man himself, Colt Cabana is getting another tryout for an announcer job with NXT. He revealed that he would be getting the opportunity in a recent podcast with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Cabana previously did commentary for WWE's old developmental program in FCW, but was released in 2009. He got a tryout earlier this year as an announcer for NXT after doing stellar work on CM Punk's Best in the World DVD.
- Speaking of NXT, it has been announced that Billy Gunn will be the special guest referee for the upcoming NXT Title match between Bo Dallas and Sami Zayn. The pair has been going head to head at recent house shows while touring with the main roster.
- Filming has completed for See No Evil 2, a WWE productions movie starring Kane. Kane was written out of action following SummerSlam when he was taken by the Wyatt family. It is believed that Kane will be returning soon, likely following Hell in a Cell.
- Speaking of returns, Rey Mysterio is confirmed for a return during WWE's upcoming tour of Mexico, but likely not in a wrestling capacity. He is still dealing with a knee injury that was treated with stem cells. Yes, he resorted to that.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.