Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- For a guy who generates such vitriol at the mere mention of his name, current wrestling free agent Hulk Hogan surprisingly has some options. Earlier this week, we mentioned that he has made some "crazy demands" in the ongoing contract negotiations with TNA, which those within the company expect that Dixie Carter will eventually cave in to. Hogan previously had creative control over all of this appearances with the company, something he would almost certainly get again in a new contract with TNA. It is also being rumored that, in a time when TNA is releasing employees and allowing contracts to expire to save money, Hogan wants a raise on his reported $35,000 per appearance. (For comparison, Ken Anderson, who actually wrestles, was said to be making in the $2000 range per appearance.) And Hogan has leverage. It is also being rumored that WWE would like to bring him back for a "prominent role" in WrestleMania 30. Either way, it seems that Hulk Hogan will be getting at least one more giant payday from the pro wrestling industry.
- Speaking of WrestleMania 30, preliminary plans are being put together for a potential Goldberg vs. Ryback match. These plans are said to be in the very early, very basic stages as WWE and Goldberg have not year agreed to a deal, but both sides are apparently talking.
- Another match said to be in the very early planning stages for WrestleMania 30 is Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes. Goldust has been pushing the idea of a WrestleMania match with his half-brother for several years now, but it never came to be. However the story plays out, it would be with Goldust as the heel and would almost certainly end with him putting his brother over.
- Perhaps Christian won't be returning to the ring this weekend... He has been pulled from all of WWE's official advertising for their upcoming house shows and tour of Mexico. Christian hasn't wrestled since suffering a concussion last month and it is uncertain when he will be back. (Interesting side note: He has been replaced as the challenger for Alberto Del Rio's World Heavyweight Title by...the Great Khali. Yeahhh...)
- Stephanie McMahon has been periodically cashing in her shares in WWE over the past several months. In all, she has sold about 1/3 of her shares, making an estimated $8 million. There were a lot of conspiracy theories floating around the internet rumor mill about why she was doing this, but the real reason turns out to be pretty tame: she is looking to build a new house.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.