Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- We previously mentioned that, upon his return from shoulder surgery, that Sheamus may turn heel. This rumor has only intensified since it first came out, as WWE is preparing to load the box with heel talent in order to counterbalance Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and John Cena on the babyface side of things. Randy Orton is also expected to remain in the WWE title picture in a heel role through the remainder of 2013, if not further.
- Dustin "Goldust" Rhodes has made his return to WWE in recent weeks in support of his half-brother Cody. WWE officials are believed to be pleased with the reaction the pair have gotten in that time and it is currently being rumored that Goldust may stick around in a near-full-time capacity, possibly through WrestleMania 30 where it is possible he gets his long desired match against Cody.
- Speaking of Cody, in what has to be the farthest anyone has gone with this "new kayfabe" (aka, playing the internet "rumor" game as an extension of kayfabe) of the Triple H era, the Pro Wrestling Syndicate promotion announced via Twitter that they had signed Cody Rhodes as a free agent and he will wrestle for them once his 90 day "no compete" clause with WWE is up. Cody then seemingly confirmed the arrangement, praising the promotion and its talent.
- Have you noticed that Wade Barrett has been absent from WWE television for the past month? Probably not...but he has indeed been gone. Word is that the WWE creative brain trust are planning to repackage the English superstar and then giving him a strong push.
- WWE 2K14 continues to draw a lot of praise from both the gaming and wrestling worlds, but it has also drawn some criticism as well. In addition to the lack of Rowdy Roddy Piper on their all-time roster, some gamers have complained about the lack of Divas. Indeed, only seven (including non-wrestler Stephanie McMahon) are playable in the game. It has been strongly hinted that one of the DLC's ("downloadable content" for the non-gamers in the audience) will add a group of Divas, both past and present, to the game.
- There has been some concern over the past year that WWE's fan voting contests are not legitimate. WWE has sworn repeatedly that they are, but fans remain wary. Adding to the strength of the "not legitimate" argument crowd, this past weekend at a house show in Dallas, TX, the fans were given the option to vote on either a match or a dance contest between Natalya and Brie Bella. Apparently, the fans voted for the match and the graphic even displayed that the match was selected. However, WWE chose to go with a dance contest anyway. (Brie went on to attack Natalya after losing the contest, leading to the match the crowd desired.)
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.