The Smark's Shoot Standings (S3) is Cageside Seats (cSs) way to give you, the Internet Wrestling Community (IWC), an opportunity to sound off on who "won" the previous week in nationally televised professional wrestling.
Cast a vote in the comments. Give us the three performers you think entertained or impressed the most in the last week, and feel free to talk about why. And/or vote for your top performer in our poll.
Your votes will determine our Performer of the Week, and the top ten vote-getters will be revealed in next Monday's post. A showing in our weekly standings means points toward the Performer of the Year S3, for the 12 months from Wrestlemania to Wrestlemania.
Included below are last week's results, and the latest version of our annual standings.
Remember, the Standings are for the previous week - Monday, Jan. 21st's WWE Monday Night Raw, Wednesday night's WWE Main Event, the TNA Impact Wrestling broadcast on the 24th, Friday the 18th's airing of WWE SmackDown and the Royal Rumble pay-per-view (PPV).
Make YOUR mark, smarks!
Being a back-to-back S3 champ has its perks...
Univision studios in Phoenix AZ twitter.com/VivaDelRio/sta…— Alberto Del Rio (@VivaDelRio) January 25, 2013
- Not only is this his second straight victory, but it's his third in the last month. WWE has put a lot into this face turn (a segment with Vince and a
partyfiesta during the week under consideration), and it looks to have paid off.
- Antonio Cesaro's new kind of foreign heel seems to be immune to wins and losses at this point. He consistently looks strong and gets love due to his talent and commitment.
- Randy Orton got a couple of victories, but he got the most acclaim for his skills as straight man to the tag team champs.
- One reigning champ delivered some classic pipe bombs, another earned an upset over Orton and a Diva became a first time titleholder - all tied for fourth in the S3.
- The remaining members of the top ten where likewise deadlocked: a new Hall-of-Famer, the beneficiary of a rub from a two-time Hall-of-Famer and two future Hall-of-Famers doing some of the best work of their careers.
The S3 - Week Ending January 20
1. Alberto Del Rio
2. Antonio Cesaro
3. Randy Orton
4. (tie) CM Punk
4. (tie) Wade Barrett
4. (tie) Kaitlyn
7. (tie) Mick Foley
7. (tie) Miz
7. (tie) Big Show
7. (tie) Bully Ray
Punk pads his lead in our annual standings. The two men enjoying the hottest streaks, Cesaro and Del Rio, are so far back that they're mathematically eliminated from winning. But there's a lot of intrigue remaining in how the final top ten will shake out. Look for a new "full" standings graphic somewhere around the Elimination Chamber PPV to see where all of your favorites (and most hated) rank.
The S3 Performer of the Year - through the Week Ending January 20
1. CM Punk - 234 points
2. Daniel Bryan - 174
3. Dolph Ziggler - 141
4. Austin Aries - 134.5
5. AJ Lee - 133.5
6. Damien Sandow - 122.33
7. Alberto Del Rio - 84.25
8. Antonio Cesaro - 82.5
9. Big Show - 76.5
10. Bobby Roode - 74
A week that felt kind of like a placeholder didn't get much vote traffic. Will one leading up to and containing a Big 4 PPV - the official start of the road to Wrestlemania no less - get more love? I'd think it might even be hard to remember everything that went down in order to get to just three votes (four, if you do a poll pop).
Don't worry. He may not be Big Poppa Pump, but Keith Harris has your hook-up with the Week in Wrestling. His week runs a little different from ours, so be sure to check the live blog and all around the WWE section for Royal Rumble results and fallout.
Now, get your vote on, and tell your friends to do the same. We'll count, compile and see you next week!