Complete spoilers for the episode of 'Smackdown' set to air on Friday, Sept. 28, 2012, from Buffalo. The advertised main event features Big Show vs. Randy Orton in a number one contender's match for the world heavyweight championship.
WWE Smackdown returns to SyFy this coming Friday night (Sept. 28, 2012) from Buffalo but the show was taped, as usual, on Tuesday night. That means full spoilers are readily available if you're the impatient type who doesn't want to wait a couple days for the payoff.
Unwrap that present early (via PWTorch):
- Big Show is back in your life in a big way, Cagesiders, as he starts the show claiming he's the only guy who can beat Sheamus. So now he's going to chase the world heavyweight title after multiple failed bids at the WWE championship, which came after multiple failed bids at the world heavyweight title last year. Blah. Randy Orton showed up to say he wants the title shot too and their main event match later in the evening will determine who faces Sheamus at Hell in a Cell. Alberto Del Rio tried to protest and ate an RKO for his trouble.
- Antonio Cesaro def. Santino Marella to retain the U.S. championship in a match designed to continue the rise of Cesaro.
- Beth Phoenix def. Natalya in her hometown to a huge pop. She pandered by wearing home colors with a Buffalo Sabres logo. After her win, Eve Torres showed up and suspended Phoenix for attacking Kaitlyn at Night of Champions, even though the only evidence they have to go on is that the assailant had blonde hair. Later, they ran a backstage segment with Booker T, Teddy Long and Eve getting into it over this decision.
- A tag title tournament was also set up to determine who would challenge Team Hell No for the titles.
- Wade Barrett def. Zack Ryder, although he didn't dominate the way he has been. Ryder got some offense in but Barrett went over again on his Ryback-like run through the promotion since his return.
- The Miz held another episode of MizTV with Sheamus as his special guest. The world heavyweight champion basically took a dump on Miz and tried to get into a match with him before Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero, who came out and made the usual threats. Ziggler actually took the mic from Vickie and said he would speak for himself, which feels like a step in the right direction. He threatened cashing in the Money in the Bank contract and a brawl ensued that Sheamus got the better of despite Miz and Ziggler teaming up on him.
- The Rhodes Scholars def. The Usos in round one of the tag title tournament. Quick and easy, no biggie.
- Ryback def. Tensai in a hoss fight that actually ended up being a real match for the big squash machine. And yes, he hit his finisher like he usually does. Reportedly got a big pop, too, so there may be something here.
- Del Rio tried to take Orton out backstage before the main event but he was eventually taken out himself and the Show vs. Orton match went ahead as planned. Show ended up winning the match, which means it will be Sheamus vs. Show for the world title at Hell in a Cell.
That's the show, Cagesiders. Thoughts?