Wrestler Wrankings™ logo by Hollywood Wallace
Get your latest edition of the Wrestler Wrankings™, your weekly breakdown and scoring of the world's purest form of sport, for week 24 of the 2012-2013 season right here.
With all the turmoil and triumph of the past week, we need Wrestler Wrankings™, now more than ever, for sanity in an insane sport.
Recently, the readers of CagesideSeats.com voted in this very space that CM Punk would be the eventual winner of the Wrestler Wrankings™when the season concludes with the splendor of WrestleMania 29. That is an awful lot of faith that we're putting in a guy who has "turned his back on the WWE Universe." Quite frankly, I disagree with the poll results for two reasons:
- Sheamus' Dominance: The Great White has run roughshod over the entire SmackDown roster in his current reign as World Heavyweight Champion; which, conveniently for him, has spanned the entire Wrankings season so far. In addition, he has earned 14 points on RAW while not defending his title on the WWE's Monday Night flagship yet this season. Meanwhile, CM Punk has earned exactly 3 points on SmackDown. This interbrand point deficit is nearly impossible to overcome, especially given point #2.
- CM Punk's Apathy: In recent weeks, Punk's lack of interest has become painfully evident. This week's Raw stands out particularly, what with Punk yawning his way through a tag match leaving poor Dolph Ziggler to take a beating at the hands of Randy Orton and Jerry Lawler. Punk went so far as to vacate the ring area on the advice of his adviser Paul Heyman. Now, this type of behavior may have worked for certain clients of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, but CM Punk is hardly Perfect. Such as iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another. It's hard to stay sharp when you're making tracks for the arena exit instead of battling top contenders. And if that last sentence got you reminiscing about "Iron" Mike Sharpe, then you and I are cut from the same cloth.
The scores will tell the tale in the long run, but at this point, Sheamus being overtaken by Punk seems far-fetched. In fact, this humble reporter wouldn't be surprised if the increasingly absent and cowardly Punk is eventually outpaced by a certain extremely famished native of "Sin City."
This week's scores and your Wrankings Top 10, after the formula...
OFFICIAL WRESTLER WRANKINGS™ FORMULA:
- ANY WIN = 2 POINTS
- US OR INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE BOUT = 1 POINT
- WWE OR WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BOUT = 3 POINTS
- NON "BIG 4" PPV = x1.5 BONUS
- SUMMERSLAM, SURVIVOR SERIES, ROYAL RUMBLE = x2 BONUS
- WRESTLEMANIA = x3 BONUS
The wrestler with the highest score when the season culminates at WrestleMania 29 wins the coveted Wrankings Championship!
Now, without further delay, let's get to this week's scores:
- Sheamus -- 2 points (win)
- Ryback -- 2 points (win)
- Alberto Del Rio -- 2 points (win)
- Randy Orton -- 2 points (win)
- Cody Rhodes -- 2 points (win)
- Sheamus -- 2 points (win)
- Dolph Ziggler -- 2 points (win)
- Kane -- 2 points (win)
- Miz -- 2 points (win)
WEEK 24 WRANKINGS TOP TEN:
1. SHEAMUS -- 89
2. CM Punk -- 65
3. Ryback -- 61
4. Alberto Del Rio -- 56
5. John Cena -- 38
6. Daniel Bryan -- 37
7. Randy Orton -- 29.5
8. Dolph Ziggler -- 27.5
T9. Brodus Clay -- 26
T9. Christian -- 26
T10. Dolph Ziggler -- 25.5
T10. Santino -- 25.5
Thanks for reading Cageside Wrankers, we'll see you next week!