In December of 1988, the American Wrestling Association (AWA) held its first and only pay-per-view. This was an effort to compete with the surging World Wrestling Federation (WWF) that would eventually prove futile, but it certainly wasn't for lack of a quality main event.
At SuperClash III, the World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) World Heavyweight Champion, the late great Kerry Von Erich, would square off against AWA World Champion Jerry "The King Lawler" in a title unification bout. The very happening of a true inter-promotional title-for-title match would be historic enough, but to have two of the all time greats face off as well, with the fate of two companies at stake?
Well, let's just say it doesn't get much better than this.
The results of this classic encounter, after the Historical Wrankings Formula...
OFFICIAL AWA HISTORICAL WRESTLER WRANKINGS™ FORMULA:
- ANY WIN = 2 POINTS
- MINOR TITLE BOUT = 1 POINT
- WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT = 3 POINTS
- MINOR PPV/SUPERCARD = x1.5 BONUS
- MAJOR PPV/SUPERCARD = x2 BONUS
- SUPERCLASH = x3 BONUS
The wrestler with the highest score when the season culminates at Superclash wins the coveted Wrankings Championship!
SUPERCLASH III, (info courtesy profightdb.com)12/13/88:
- Eric Embry -- 9 points (win, WCCW Light HW Title bout, w/ 3x bonus)
- Jimmy Valiant -- 6 points (win, w/ 3x bonus)
- Iceman King Parsons -- 9 points (win, WCCW Texas HW Title bout, w/ 3x bonus)
- Greg Gagne -- 9 points (win, AWA International TV Title bout, w/ 3x bonus)
- Sergeant Slaughter -- 6 points (win, w/ 3x bonus)
- Wahoo McDaniel -- 6 points (win, w/ 3x bonus)
- Kerry Von Erich -- 18 points (no win, AWA World Title bout, WCCW World Title bout, w/ 3x bonus)
- Jerry "The King" Lawler -- 24 points (win, AWA World Title bout, WCCW World Title bout, w/ 3x bonus)
Wrestler Wrankings TOP TEN:
1. The King... and no one else!