WWE Champion CM Punk made his way over to the blue brand to defend his title on the episode of Smackdown that aired last night (Fri., June 1, 2012), which you can now watch, in its entirety, above.
A few thoughts from the show:
- For those worried about including Kane in a match with Punk and Daniel Bryan should have their fears allayed somewhat simply by watching the main event of this show. I'm certainly not the biggest fan of Kane's style but if there are any two wrestlers on the roster who can get a great match out of him, it's these two.
- In the opening segment of the night, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, and David Otunga were all in the ring together. By the time it was over, I was shocked at my own reaction to it. If Otunga could work anywhere near the level of the other two, he would be the best of the bunch. Sheamus and Del Rio make it really hard to care about them.
- Can we ditch the Sin Cara lighting? It makes it look like he's wrestling in the dark. I suppose that's one way to cover up his botching but he looked good here. That knee seems to be okay.
- Random jobbers Ryback squashes >>> Ryback. Also, this scares me.
- Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus was a really good thing. Jack Swagger interrupting to signal he's not leaving Ziggler's side right away was not.
- Zack Ryder getting booked in a tag match with Santino Marella and not once getting tagged in is just the cutest damn thing ever. That he was destroyed by Big Show immediately after was even more incredible. WWE really does view him as nothing more than a lovable loser.
- It's about time Cody Rhodes was booked to look strong.
- Antonio Cesaro is the future, you guys. Get ready for it.
Overall, yet another solid episode of Smackdown. Nothing spectacular but it's definitely worth taking the time to watch. Enjoy, Cagesiders.