WWE Main Event made its weekly return last night (Nov. 28) to deliver the usual pair of matches the show is accustomed to giving. This week, the feature pitted John Cena against Damien Sandow. In addition to the matchup between the martyr and the superhero, WWE United States Champion Antonio Cesaro saw action against Zack Ryder.
Reactions? Are you serious, bro? Woo, woo, woo! You know it!
- John Cena and Damien Sandow squared off in what was likely an attempt to draw some ratings to WWE's "minor league" show. As usual, the standard video packages explained the wrestlers prior to the match. Cena entered first, and Sandow entered with a mic, dropping a Socrates quote and belittling the unwashed masses. The two actually put on a fine match allowing Sandow to live up to the potential which so many in the internet wrestling community think he has. Unfortunately, he tapped out to the STF as soon as it was applied. No surprise there, but Cena did his part to make Sandow look good. Definitely worth a look if you can find it.
- This match also reminded me of the merits of John Cena. While he can be the most excruciatingly awful character at times, his in-ring work is consistent and he puts his all in these longer, more significant matchups. My cap is off to you for this show, Mr. Cena. Now, go ruin the purity of my darling AJ Lee and make Jim Carey faces so I can hate you again.
- In our other match of the night, WWE United States Champion Antonio Cesaro took on Zack Ryder. Cesaro is a phenom in the ring and Ryder has his days, so this match turned out to be pretty nice for what it was. Ryder was mounting a comeback, but he launched himself to the outside and landed right on a beautiful Swiss Death uppercut. A Gotch Neutralizer later, and that was all she wrote for Ryder. Cesaro is someone on the mid-card who everyone should be watching.
- At the end of the match, Cesaro played up the foreign heel part and Kofi Kingston set up a match between the two for next week. I anticipate this being a really fun affair and hopefully Kofi does something ridiculous to fall into a beautiful Swiss Death. That thing is one of my favorite moves in professional wrestling at the moment.
- A final note is that the production value seems to be set, so commercials are going to continue to be a part of the matches weekly. It interrupts the flow of the matches, but hey, what can you do?
A lot of the time, live-blogging can be a real drag, especially through the three hours of Raw each week. However, this show sort of reminded me why I like professional wrestling in the first place. It wasn't a big-time event by any means, but the show was very refreshing.
This week's show earned an "A" from me. I thoroughly enjoy this show weekly. If you are strictly a WWE guy, NXT and Main Event are your best bets for quality matches with little filler.
What did you Cagesiders make of this week's Main Event?