WWE SmackDown returned last night (Nov. 16) to give us the final major show before Survivor Series. With potential clashes between Team Ziggler and Team Foley, as well as Sheamus and WWE World Heavyweight Champion Big Show, the show was full of combustible elements. Would they explode? Find out here.
WWE SmackDown returned last night (Nov. 16) to bring us the go-home show to Sunday's Survivor Series pay-per-view (PPV). There was conflict all over the show last night. Team Ziggler and Team Foley butted heads, but there was also tension between teammates.
Additionally, WWE World Heavyweight Champion Big Show had an angry Sheamus to deal with after his actions on Raw earlier this week.
Let's move right into some reactions!
- The central focus of the show was on Sheamus waiting for Big Show in the parking lot like a high schooler. The two met later in the show, but Big Show wants nothing to do with Sheamus until Sunday. Sheamus kept trying to attack Show, but Booker T had to hold him back, despite him telling Sheamus earlier that there would be serious repercussions to attacking Big Show. Booker put Big Show in a match against Great Khali, which Show won (that's all I am talking about for a Great Khali match). Show went to the parking lot after the match and looked to get on the bus, but Sheamus attacked him. The two brawled and Sheamus was slammed on a windshield, but he got up to slam Show's head into a windshield, ultimately winning the fight. Nothing badly booked here, but Big Show is not good enough on the microphone to compensate for how bad Sheamus is on the microphone. Sheamus' personality on the mic completely turns me off from anything he does, despite being a solid wrestler. This just left me with an overwhelming sense of "meh" for Sunday.
- The show kicked off with The Miz hosting an episode of Miz TV, who had Mick Foley on as this week's guest. The segment turned into a Team Ziggler vs. Team Foley showdown, but Foley had been granted permission to make some matches. He made a tag match between Randy Orton and The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler and Alberto Del Rio, as those teams seemed to be butting heads during the segment. He then made Kane vs. Wade Barrett, the new member of Team Ziggler. Finally, he made the curtain-jerker Kofi Kingston vs. Damien Sandow. All in all, decent segment.
- Kofi Kingston vs. Damien Sandow proved to be a pretty good outing for both men. Sandow worked the more agressive, grounded offense, while Kofi was up to his usual aerial assault. In the end, Sandow caught Kingston with a schoolboy rollup and a handful of tights to take home the win.
- Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler vs. Randy Orton and The Miz was the usual from all four men, with the match proving to be entertaining. The Cleveland crowd was electric for The Miz, who tagged himself in as Orton was coiled for the RKO. He hit Alberto Del Rio with the Skull-Crushing Finale to win, but ended up eating an RKO after the match. While this is sort of strange if they are pushing Miz as a face, it could be that they want him to work as a tweener. Either way, builds a bit of tension for their match on Sunday.
- Wade Barrett vs. Kane never finished, as Team Ziggler and Team Foley came out to brawl. Kane ultimately won the DQ, but his team was able to send all of Team Ziggler packing. That is, everyone except Miz helped, as he came in after the punching party, still sore physically and emotionally over Orton's RKO. Again, solid booking here.
- Antonio Cesaro defeated Sin Cara while R-Truth was at ringside. Nothing really new here, just that R-Truth lead the crowd in "USA!" chants after the match. Way to further the most white trash chant in sporting, Mr. Killings.
- Kaitlyn, Layla, and Natalya defeated Eve, Alicia Fox, and Aksana. There you go.
This was a solidly booked show, but nothing really of great substance. Then again, looking at what were are stuck with in professional wrestling, not much is nowadays.
Anyway, this show earns a "B." They pushed every rivalry for Sunday, which is always a good thing.
What did you Cagesiders make of SmackDown?