WWE Main Event made its usual Wednesday night return yesterday (Nov. 14), and featured a bit of gold on the line. WWE Tag Team Champions Team Hell No took on Rhodes Scholars in a battle for the belts, whetting our proverbial whistles for this Sunday's Survivor Series pay-per-view.
We also saw Santino Marella take on WWE's second Harvard graduate, David Otunga.
Let's roll right into the reactions!
- The featured match between Team Hell No and Rhodes Scholars featured two injuries, with one of them not being part of the night's scheduled events. Rhodes Scholars laid a surprise attack on Daniel Bryan during his interview with Matt Striker, putting the match up in the air. During the match, which Bryan made it to, Kane and Cody Rhodes were exchanging offense. Kane put Rhodes up for a routine back bodydrop, but Rhodes came down on his head and shoulder in a very bad way. Rhodes was out of action for the rest of the match, looking nauseous and completely out of it, having suffered a concussion. That said, the match's pacing was thrown off a bit, but Team Hell No still retained.
- Diving a little deeper, this injury is not just bad for the misfortunes involving Cody's neurological health. This could hurt Damien Sandow and the WWE tag team division, which has had a sort of revitalization because of this feud. Worse off, Rhodes likely will not be cleared to compete for Survivor Series, thus adding a random participant to Team Ziggler. Hopefully, they find a way to work around Rhodes' head injury.
- Next week's main event will feature Dolph Ziggler versus The Miz. The Show Off was interviewed on the Titantron by Cole and Miz, but it ended in Ziggler and Miz trading barbs back and forth, with Miz ultimately extending the challenge. While the charisma during the segment was in full force, I am dreading this potential Miz face turn. He'll need to tone down the snark, or at least turn his snark into elementary insults. Ask CM Punk. While most seem to work better as heels, we'll see where this goes.
- Miz also played a part in the Team Hell No match. After the bout, Kane wanted Bryan to shake Miz's hand. Bryan refused, but Miz extended the hand. Bryan then wanted to hug it out, but Miz wasn't having any of that. So, maybe he won't turn face? There's a grain of hope.
- Santino Marella beat David Otunga. Anyone care? No? Excellent.
The show flew by very quickly and didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, sans the Rhodes injury.
Therefore, the show earns a "B." Solid job all around here.
Let's see how you Cagesiders graded this one!