As an MMA writer/fan/addict, I live for the sport of mixed martial arts. I make it a point to watch every televised event, and try to write about as much of it as I can.
If I'm not watching a live event, I'm watching an MMA-based television program like 'MMA Live' or 'Inside MMA'. If I'm not watching TV, I'm checking Twitter, or any and every MMA website for news and updates.
If I weren't married, all of the aforementioned would comprise my daily schedule. But I am married. I like sleeping in my bed. Shoot, I actually even kinda like my wife. Because of this, I try to balance my manic obsession with MMA, and do "married things" as often as possible.
When there is one live event every couple of weeks or so, the balancing act is manageable. This weekend, I will have to dig deep into the excess of brownie points I've accumulated, and will probably find myself in a position where I'll need to earn some more come next Monday.
Why? You may be unaware, but this upcoming weekend is chalk full of entertaining fight cards. Here's the full run-down:
On Friday night, Strikeforce will return to the 'Challengers' series. The event will be held at the ShoWare Center in Kent, Washington, and begins at 11pm ET on Showtime. Here's the card for the event:
(AFTER THE JUMP)
- Lightweight bout: Caros Fodor vs. James Terry
- Lightweight bout: Ryan Couture vs. Matt Ricehouse
- Heavyweight bout: Lorenz Larkin vs. Gian Villante
- Women's (135 lbs) bout: Germaine de Randamie vs. Julia Budd
- Welterweight bout: Jason High vs. Quinn Mulhern
On Saturday night, Bellator returns to action (after a 4+ week lay-off) with Bellator 46. The fights will take place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida. The televised fights begin at 9pm ET on MTV2. Here's the lineup for this one:
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Pat Curran vs. Luis Palomino
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Marlon Sandro vs. Genair da Silva
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Nazareno Malegarie vs. Jacob DeVree
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Ronnie Mann vs. Adam Schindler
Local Feature Fights
- Middleweight bout: Dan Cramer vs. Josh Samman
- Featherweight bout: Alexandre Bezerra vs. Matt McCook
- Heavyweight bout: Tony Johnson Jr. vs. Derrick Lewis
- Women's (125) lbs. bout: Jessica Aguilar vs. Carla Esparza
- Middleweight bout: Moyses Gabin vs. David Baggett
On Sunday night, the UFC will host its "UFC Live: Marquardt vs. Story" event from the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The preliminiary card is said to be airing via Facebook, and are set to being at 4:55pm ET. The main card will air on Versus, and begins at 9pm ET. Here's the entire card:
- Welterweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Rick Story
- Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Pat Barry
- Welterweight bout: Matt Brown vs. John Howard
- Heavyweight bout: Matt Mitrione vs. Christian Morecraft
Preliminary card (Facebook)
- Featherweight bout: Tyson Griffin vs. Manvel Gamburyan
- Featherweight bout: Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez
- Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Curt Warburton
- Welterweight bout: Daniel Roberts vs. Rich Attonito
- Welterweight bout: Charlie Brenneman vs. TJ Grant
- Lightweight bout: Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira
- Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas vs. Matt Grice
- Lightweight bout: Michael Johnson vs. Edward Faaloloto
So there it is. It's fantastic news, and it's terrible news, all at the same time. Does anyone else share my predicament? Any fellow potential "couch-sleepers" as the weekend approaches?