Oh, what a week (12/5-12/11) we just finished in the world of pro wrestling. Thankfully, WWE isn't pulling down every YouTube video bearing its likeness, as they actually understand how to properly market their product.
For the week in review, I’ll pick a winner of something that was Good, Bad and so terribly horrific it was laughable, like The Gobbledy Gooker, hence the name. I'll also give a couple honorable mentions.
The image that stood out most to me this week was Cena dressed up as Zack Ryder, it really could have gone into any of my categories, but I’ll just give him a "Broski" and move along.
The Good – Cody Rhodes
Much like Zack Ryder’s coming out party on Raw, Cody got to run the show on Smackdown. He did so much it was tough to keep up. He took out Booker, did a little commentary, ripped on Lilian Garcia, cheap shotted Daniel Bryan, which lead to a quality match between the two. To top it off, now Aksana is taking a liking to him. Future manager? We'll see. Looking back, I feel stupid for at one point thinking, "now that Legacy is finished, Ted DiBiase is going to be amazing in singles' competition."
- On Raw and Smackdown Ryder’s "Broski Boot" to Cena, Mark Henry, and Heath Slater all looked awesome! Even Cena was selling that kick after their match.
- WWE Network promo (Video Here) is very different, big fan of it, gets people’s attention.
- The ending of the Young Buck/Future shock match, you can watch the video on ROH’s website, just go to the 45 minute mark.
- Props to TNA for really trying to build a women’s division by having tag belts and have two (two!) matches in one show.
The Bad and The Gobbledy after the jump.
The Bad – Bobby Roode (sort of) spitting in Dixie Carter’s face.
I’ll admit that I’m not a big TNA fan, usually don’t watch it, so this was the first show in a long while that I sat through. So what was my reintroduction to the product? An awkward back and forth between Roode, Dixie Carter, and Sting that ended with Roode spitting on Dixie. I don't know if it was the camera angle, or if he half-assed it, but the whole thing just looked bad. Then he runs away from old man Sting? He's the heavyweight champion!
Thanks to YouTube, here's the video (click here). Skip to 6:50 mark if you want to get right to the action.
- Hornswoggle should go back to gibberish, please don’t announce anymore.
- Ring of Honor show needs to have 3 matches, 51 minutes should allow for that.
- I still dislike Michael Cole; he may end up here every week, with his over the top heel persona.
The Gobbledy – Diva’s Match from Raw
Here’s the match. Click here if you blinked last Monday.
This was beyond pointless, even for the Divas. The match was just over a minute long, Eve didn’t even get into the ring, and the crowd refused to cheer when Alicia Fox banged the hell out of the apron. I hope with Raw being three hours tonight they will get at least two minutes of air time.
- Gunner’s horrible excuse for a piledriver on the concrete floor to Garrett Bischoff.
- Didn’t get to watch Final Destination last night, but saw the title match ended in a draw. Big thumbs down to ending a pay-per-view with that title with a draw in a heavyweight championship match.
Well that’s it for 12/12/11, folks, enjoy Raw tonight.